Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

When I drive hard, car gets stuck into gear, unless I pump the clutch multiple times?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 07:45 AM
Melody R53 euro mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I drive hard, car gets stuck into gear, unless I pump the clutch multiple times?

This has been happening for months and its driving me nuts, especially since I want to AUTO-X my car.

This ONLY happens after I take a corner pretty fast, and what happens is that let's say I was in second taking that corner, and I gained a bit of speed once I get on the straight, then I want to shift to 3rd, well I can't. It goes into neutral fine but then it gets stuck and won't let me push it into 3rd. I've tried forcing and it either doesn't do anything or grinds gears. The ONLY way to make it shift is if I put the clutch to make it go to neutral THEN put the clutch in a second time to make it go into 3rd.

Because it happens in corners and when I go fast I thought that maybe my save cylinder was cracked and when I'm turning it leaks out that side, so I replaced it. It helped for maybe a week even though it was still doing it occasionally and then went back to doing it every single time I take a corner too fast.

Other than that no issues with the gears or the clutch.

HELP!!!!

Old 05-31-2013, 08:11 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Melody R53 euro mini
This has been happening for months and its driving me nuts, especially since I want to AUTO-X my car.

This ONLY happens after I take a corner pretty fast, and what happens is that let's say I was in second taking that corner, and I gained a bit of speed once I get on the straight, then I want to shift to 3rd, well I can't. It goes into neutral fine but then it gets stuck and won't let me push it into 3rd. I've tried forcing and it either doesn't do anything or grinds gears. The ONLY way to make it shift is if I put the clutch to make it go to neutral THEN put the clutch in a second time to make it go into 3rd.

Because it happens in corners and when I go fast I thought that maybe my save cylinder was cracked and when I'm turning it leaks out that side, so I replaced it. It helped for maybe a week even though it was still doing it occasionally and then went back to doing it every single time I take a corner too fast.

Other than that no issues with the gears or the clutch.

HELP!!!!
Outside shot, check your motor mounts, sounds like the engine may be shifting

Last edited by NightFlyR; 05-31-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:45 AM
Melody R53 euro mini
1st Gear
I actually JUST replaced my engine mounts two weeks ago.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:37 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Melody R53 euro mini
I actually JUST replaced my engine mounts two weeks ago.
I am uessing you changed all 3 of them, and that the problem was there before you changed them out

Old 06-01-2013, 07:17 AM
Melody R53 euro mini
1st Gear
That is correct. I've had this issue for almost a year. No one knows what it is, and the rest of the people don't believe me.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:27 AM
psichick
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this almost exact thing happen in my neon. Drove me nuts. I put it on a lift and pulled the tranny to see what was going on and my flywheel fell out in three pieces (excuse to upgrade! Lol). What really prompted me to check was that I sitting at a light, pushed in the clutch as it was about to go green, and the car started creeping forward on its own. I was having issues in the 2 - 3 shift, mostly on the tack but occasionally on the street as well.

My money is on the flywheel.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Melody R53 euro mini
1st Gear
I'll have my mechanic check it out. I have an appointment June 5th for my AC compressor. But from what I've told them they aren't sure what it is.