Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

need some serious help with Short Shifter install...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 11:04 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey All. I know that there is already a post about this, but the photos are too large and it jacks up the screen. Plus I need some serious help because if I cannot fix it I am without my mini... I will have to take it for repair.

Anyways, here is the status.

I am installing the Helix SS for an 2004 MCS. I have everything ripped apart and I am trying to get the old shifter off... to replace with the new one. here are some images...

How can I get that little deal off. Is there a secret. Now I have tried twisting, pivoting, prying... I have used all my strength, plus some of others and we cannot get it off. I dont know what I am doing wrong. Can anyone please HELP me...

i want to thank everyone in advance for any input. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2004, 12:01 AM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Helix SS should attach to the bottom of that. That increases the length of the shifter, moving the fulcrum so to speak. You should be able to attach the Helix SS to the bottom of the original, and keep it in place with set screws. I may be wrong, but I think I am on the right track.

Old 04-29-2004, 03:04 AM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
>>How can I get that little deal off. Is there a secret. Now I have tried twisting, pivoting, prying... I have used all my strength, plus some of others and we cannot get it off.

I don't know what you're referring to when you stated "little deal." You have to be more specific. From the pictures, it seems like you already disengaged the ball-and-socket joint, which for most people, it's the hardest to do.

I just installed SS on an 04 MCS, but the housing on mine is black, not white like the one in the picture. If yours is white, it might use the same linkage as the pre-03. Check to make sure as the 04 has a larger extension link.

Old 04-29-2004, 03:04 AM
dcsmd007
>>How can I get that little deal off. Is there a secret. Now I have tried twisting, pivoting, prying... I have used all my strength, plus some of others and we cannot get it off.

I don't know what you're referring to when you stated "little deal." You have to be more specific. From the pictures, it seems like you already disengaged the ball-and-socket joint, which for most people, it's the hardest to do.

I just installed SS on an 04 MCS, but the housing on mine is black, not white like the one in the picture. If yours is white, it might use the same linkage as the pre-03. Check to make sure as the 04 has a larger extension link.

Old 04-29-2004, 05:15 AM
Pflashinaz
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From the pics it looks like you still need to disengage the ball & socket from the 'side' linkage and remove the two clips that secure the cables to the housing, and pull the cables out and remove the two other fastners that connect the housing to the body (4 total). It should drop right out. This looks the same as my 02' S housing which I installed a B&M SS.

Old 04-29-2004, 08:52 AM
dcsmd007
>>From the pics it looks like you still need to disengage the ball & socket from the 'side' linkage and remove the two clips that secure the cables to the housing, and pull the cables out and remove the two other fastners that connect the housing to the body (4 total). It should drop right out. This looks the same as my 02' S housing which I installed a B&M SS.

When I intalled Madness/Rogue SS for my 04, I only needed to disengage 1 joint, which is already done in the pictures. The installation on B&M and Alta require somewhat more procedures than Madness, Rogue, and Helix. :smile:

Old 04-29-2004, 04:23 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Thanks for the help guys. The instructions from Helix were not very clear. Either way here are my short shifter woes...

Davecsumini-- you're right. I have an 2003 design. The kit that was ordered through helix did not fit. I have a 09-03 build for the 2004 MCS. So FYI to those out there with an early 04... you most likely dont have any changes to your shifter linkage and exhaust hangers.

So at this point I have to send back the 04 kit and wait for the 03, but now I know what I am doing so it will go smoothly. Everytime I get under my cooper and start to work on it, I get so nervous that I am going to jack something up.

Thanks for the input everyone. You all saved me once again!!!

Old 04-30-2004, 04:44 AM
bolar
3rd Gear
goldcountrymini, I to have a 09-'03 build '04 MCS and was wondering if it had the '04 parts in it already. I want to install a B&M SS but no one seems to know nothing about when the change occured. Thanks for the info! :smile: :smile:

Old 04-30-2004, 06:56 AM
dcsmd007
The best way to check for older or newer shifter design is to look at the gear link housing. The newer one is black whereas the older one is white; however, both covers are white.

I have a 11/03 built 04 MCS with the new shifter design. Anyone with post 11/03 production date will certainly have the 04 design. :smile:

Old 05-01-2004, 04:21 AM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
Everytime I see one of these threads I get the heeby jeebies and decide NOT to get the S/S......plus my level of skill is soooo high, that my shifters are at the speed of light.....to go to twice the speed of light seems kind of a waste.....never mind I am a wuz when it comes to fiddly stuff........

Old 05-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Super_MINI
4th Gear
>>Everytime I see one of these threads I get the heeby jeebies and decide NOT to get the S/S......plus my level of skill is soooo high, that my shifters are at the speed of light.....to go to twice the speed of light seems kind of a waste.....never mind I am a wuz when it comes to fiddly stuff........

You should try to find someone who has a B&M or Promini short shifter and drive their car. You won't believe the difference. I drove a JCW mcs with the stock shifter long after I installed the B&M on mine and after driving with the stock shifter it would have been the first mod done to my car if I had to do it again.

Old 05-01-2004, 09:47 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Well, the job isnt that difficult now that I did it, kinda. I need to get the 03 SS and then I will actually be able to complete the job. Hmmm.... just do it

Old 05-14-2004, 12:19 PM
Traveler
3rd Gear
>>Well, the job isnt that difficult now that I did it, kinda. I need to get the 03 SS and then I will actually be able to complete the job. Hmmm.... just do it

Well here is another data point. My car is an October 03 build 2004 Model and has the 2003 style shifer. I just sent an e mail to Out Motoring about getting a return authorization. This is kind of frustrating after waiting 2 weeks for the part. I wish they were more specific as to the date or VIN break where MINI started with the new style. For the record my VIN ends in 77052.

edit: I just went and looked at Out Motoring Web site and the ordering choices clearly say "choose your build date", not model year. So this was my error for not reading carefully. Of course if you have an 11/03 or 12/03 build and follow their instructions you will end up with the wrong part since the switch was apparently made sometime between October and November.

Old 05-14-2004, 01:34 PM
cdconsor
4th Gear
not sure I followed all of that (mostly because I only scanned it) BUT, if you are still having trouble with that side ball-n-socket, I found that using a blade screw driver as a wedge worked pretty well. You kind of jam it in the socket and twist. You can get a lot of leverage in a tight spot that way.

good luck

Old 05-15-2004, 09:18 AM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
FYI, I have a 04 MCS as well with a build date of 10/03. I have the white housing as well. Guess that means the 04 kit I have from Helix won't work. Damn. Well, at least I did not spend much more time trying to get the dang linkage apart.

Old 05-16-2004, 04:18 PM
astra
4th Gear
My MCS was built the first week of November and I have the '04 shifter.. I have a friend ho's build was the 2nd week of October and he has the '03 shifter..

this might help narrow it down..

I also have the'04 brake fittings.. and am still waiting for steel brake lines!!!!

a

Old 05-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Traveler
3rd Gear
Saturday I spoke with Aaron from Out Motoring. They are going to mail me the extension for an 03 along with a mailing label to return the 04 part. All of this is at their expense. You sure can't complain about their customer service.