Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Desperate Need Of Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 09:51 AM
raindizzle
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Desperate Need Of Help!!!

Hi All,

I am in desperate need of help. About 3.5 weeks ago I was driving on the freeway here in CA when I totally lost power to the engine. A yellow blinking check engine light came on right after. I had taken it to Mini Corsa the following day. They had told me that my cylinder head had blown due to massive carbon build up, i had oil leaks around the valve cover due to a crack, and gasket needed to be replaced. They said that the problem was due to the bsh catch can that had been installed. They had replaced the whole cylinder head, valve cover, gasket, plugs, and etc...I had picked up my car about 1.5 weeks after I had brought it in. Everything was fine but was still having a yellow check engine light with a p115c code. I brought my car back to them few days after receiving it and they had replaced the MAF. After taking my car back and driving it, I still had the p115c code. Brought it back in and they had changed the recirculating valve due to a tear in the diaphragm, did an ecu update, checked all tubes for leaks and etc...Took the car back after all and still check engine light with the p115c code. I don't know what else can be the problem, and they don't know what else could it be. Can someone please help me out? Forgot to mention that after they had replaced the whole cylinder head they had removed the catch can and the boost tap. My car is totally back to stock and air filter has been replaced. What else can cause my car to still have a p115c code?

Old 06-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will be watching this thread for answers.

Did they say why a BSH Catch Can would cause such a huge problem? Had it been emptied regularly?

Old 06-30-2013, 02:06 PM
raindizzle
2nd Gear
Yes my catch can was always emptied after every gas fill up. I had forgotten what he had said to me about it but it did make sense when he explained it. If I go back to him I will get that explanation and write it down. I just remembered that with the boost tap installed it built the pressure into my cylinder head which then messed everything up.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:09 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Just curious... what model, year, mileage?

Old 06-30-2013, 03:53 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by raindizzle
I had forgotten what he had said to me about it but it did make sense when he explained it. If I go back to him I will get that explanation and write it down.

While I can't help you with the code or your situation I'm here regarding the BSH OCC.

Who here believes that an OCC could possibly have anything to do with that??

I'm no expert - and I have a BSH - but I fail to see how the extra volume of air to catch and condense the oil vapor could lead to anything but less buildup (isn't that the whole concept?!). Interestingly, when I had the dealer install a new engine they didn't but my OCC back in either.

I'm sorry for your troubles, good luck with finding a resolution.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:06 PM
raindizzle
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by EHans
Just curious... what model, year, mileage?
2007 r56 mini cooper s june build with 79,352 miles

Old 06-30-2013, 05:08 PM
raindizzle
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jamez
While I can't help you with the code or your situation I'm here regarding the BSH OCC.

Who here believes that an OCC could possibly have anything to do with that??

I'm no expert - and I have a BSH - but I fail to see how the extra volume of air to catch and condense the oil vapor could lead to anything but less buildup (isn't that the whole concept?!). Interestingly, when I had the dealer install a new engine they didn't but my OCC back in either.

I'm sorry for your troubles, good luck with finding a resolution.
If you search the forum on the occ there are quite a few post from members who have similar issues.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:43 AM
raindizzle
2nd Gear
OK I found out that it is something electrical that is causing the code! What electrical thing would cause a p115c code besides the bypass valve and maf?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:49 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 207 Likes on 171 Posts
If the orginal problem was carbon build up, then the oil catch can probably delayed the onset
of the problem rather than causing it. Unfortunately, that put it into the post-warranty period.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:29 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
I wouldn't blame the OCC for your oil leak problems, but blocking the rear vent with a boost tap can cause excess pressure build-up in the crankcase / valve cover area --- oil leaks. A lot depends on your driving habits --- which of the two vents is in use most of the time. I'm in process of checking out my dual OCC install --- to see if this fixes my back pressure & oil use problem.

Can't help with your code issues.