Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Brake pad warning light.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:08 PM
PFCflanders
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pad warning light.

So today as I got home the brake pad warning light flashed on briefly. In the manual it says that it means i should check the condition of my pads. I have the stock pads and rotors with 39k on them. Should i replace the pads now? Should i have replaced them already? Should i replace both? Assistance pleeze.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:29 PM
donjulio
4th Gear
The pad lights come on when there is about ~3/10 of the thickness left on the pads. So you don't really have to worry about it for a while...

Old 07-10-2013, 06:33 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 232 Likes on 169 Posts
Yes, check the thickness of the pads, both front and rear...but, in all probability, the fronts wear faster than the rears. You can use an inspection mirror and a flashlight to see both the inner and outer pads of each caliper. I seriously doubt you'll need new rotors unless they're seriously scored. Don't wait too long to replace the pads. If you do, you'll run the risk of getting down to the pad backing plates which will score the rotors so deeply, you'll probably have to replace them.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:33 PM
PFCflanders
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Yes, check the thickness of the pads, both front and rear...but, in all probability, the fronts wear faster than the rears. You can use an inspection mirror and a flashlight to see both the inner and outer pads of each caliper. I seriously doubt you'll need new rotors unless they're seriously scored. Don't wait too long to replace the pads. If you do, you'll run the risk of getting down to the pad backing plates which will score the rotors so deeply, you'll probably have to replace them.
Thanks, I was planing on putting some EBC Redstuff pads anyway in about a month.