Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Help - Project '08 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013 | 04:05 PM
Clift1
|
Neutral
Help - Project '08 MCS

Hello

My first post, so forgive me if I placed it in the wrong area. Not afraid of a project but before I begin, would appreciate some advice from the experts out there.

Last week I bought a beautiful 2008 MCS with 63K miles from the original owner.

According to the owner, she drove it to work without any issues. At the end of the day it would not start (but would turn over/crank) Towed it to a local non Mini garage and was told it was timing issue. Mechanics removed the valve cover and saw the chain had not broken but the plastic from the top support was missing (chunks visible near the crank). Local garage would not attempt a repair, out of warranty and wanting to get another vehicle she offered it to me at a very reasonable price.

I attempted a compression check but learned my fittings won't work on the Mini. Guessing that's another special tool for the Mini. So before I order a timing chain kit and the cam lock tool(s), I'm wondering if I'm wasting money. What are the odds the valves aren't damaged? Should I just look for a salvage engine?

Appreciate your experience and thoughts

Clift

Old 07-29-2013 | 04:13 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Clift1
Hello

My first post, so forgive me if I placed it in the wrong area. Not afraid of a project but before I begin, would appreciate some advice from the experts out there.

Last week I bought a beautiful 2008 MCS with 63K miles from the original owner.

According to the owner, she drove it to work without any issues. At the end of the day it would not start (but would turn over/crank) Towed it to a local non Mini garage and was told it was timing issue. Mechanics removed the valve cover and saw the chain had not broken but the plastic from the top support was missing (chunks visible near the crank). Local garage would not attempt a repair, out of warranty and wanting to get another vehicle she offered it to me at a very reasonable price.

I attempted a compression check but learned my fittings won't work on the Mini. Guessing that's another special tool for the Mini. So before I order a timing chain kit and the cam lock tool(s), I'm wondering if I'm wasting money. What are the odds the valves aren't damaged? Should I just look for a salvage engine?

Appreciate your experience and thoughts

Clift
Welp, sadly timing chain problems are known issues... They fail over time..

If the timing was so far out that it would not start.. There is a good chance IMHO that you lost compression and damaged something.

I'd pull the head. No sense in installing a timing chain cassette with possible valve damage..

I'd do that before I made a further diagnosis.

Perhaps borrow an inspection boroscope?

Old 07-29-2013 | 05:07 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Even tho the car is out of warranty, it's possible the timing chain / tensioner might still be covered. If it was replaced earlier, the replacement should be guaranteed for 2 years. You might want to call the closest dealer and work with them. If nothing else, get the maintenance history --- there are a couple other "known problems" with the 2nd gen Minis.

Old 07-29-2013 | 06:00 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Stay far away from it if the guide broke. It's HIGHLY likely a valve already smacked a piston. It's an interference engine.

The spark plug is an M12, not M14 like a lot of other domestic cars. You'll have to get the engine in time to do the compression test anyway.

MOVE ON.

Old 07-29-2013 | 06:03 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Although failing timing chains/assemblies are not unusual in MINIs, there are few instances of their failure destroying the engine. I would guess if it had jumped timing and internals started colliding with each other, the previous owner might have noticed something more than it running normal when she parked it.

Good luck!

Old 07-29-2013 | 06:31 PM
micromini234
4th Gear
I recently had mine replaced as well. Dealer charged 2.4k, I had valve damage, but ive heard rumors the other day which actually informed me there might be a recall or something. If you like id pay and see what happens or wait till then to see where it goes.

http://www.motoringfile.com/section/recallscampaigns/

Last edited by micromini234; 07-30-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-30-2013 | 07:47 PM
Clift1
|
Neutral
Thanks

Appreciate the wisdom out there. Parked in my garage. Have plenty of time, will research some more before I start tearing it apart.