Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

alternator woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Javskies
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alternator woes

so after doing some voltage tests i have found out my alternator is not charging my battery. now before i go and buy a whole new one i would to know if there were some things to check, such as the wires connecting the alternator and what not. and if it turns out the alternator is bad, where to buy a replacement. thanks for the help!

Old 07-30-2013, 03:50 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Need more details on the car.. (Year, model, options..)

What tests did you do?

What tools did you use?

Old 07-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Javskies
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
Need more details on the car.. (Year, model, options..)

What tests did you do?

What tools did you use?
That is true, my bad! 06 mini s

Old 07-30-2013, 04:26 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
IMO try to get a good rebuild/new OEM....
Folks seem to not have very good luck with the big auto parts stores...lifetime warrenty on a cheap junk part......every year or so you will be swapping it out....you get what you pay for with electrical parts...
I have seem DENSO branded denso rebuilt ones online a few places...bet those are the same as the OEM rebuilds mini is selling....still $$, but about 150$ less than the dealer...good parts cost some $$.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:13 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Javskies
That is true, my bad! 06 mini s
Ok, but I still want to know what tools you have so I can help you..

Old 07-30-2013, 05:51 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought one from Rock Auto for a total about $130. Works like a champ and I know a few folk using them with no problems.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Javskies
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed

Ok, but I still want to know what tools you have so I can help you..
Oh wow I didn't even see you asked that lol. I used a voltmeter at the battery and at the terminal in the engine compartment and with the car off I got 12.7 and with the car on I got 12.3. I have plenty of tools but I'm not sure which ones to single out that would help me in this

Old 07-30-2013, 07:12 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by daflake
I bought one from Rock Auto for a total about $130. Works like a champ and I know a few folk using them with no problems.
So far, I have had great luck with their parts, and love their prices....heck have gotten parts for the wife's car...OEM brand for about 60% of the price of the no-name crap from auto-zone.....
So if you go that route, IMO, don't just get the cheapest....get "good one"....

Old 07-30-2013, 09:40 PM
ageofoctane
2nd Gear
I was just about to post this same question. New to the forum. Just bought my 03 Mini S JCW this AFTERNOON! Still like new with only 43,000 miles. On my 200 mile drive home, the alternator went out, or already was out ( The seller honestly had no idea, and I can't complain too much because he gave me a great deal ($9,500) over higher offers because I told him it was my dream car and he wanted me to have it). Anyway, the battery isn't charging, is there anything else that should be checked, or is the alternator the only possibility. I did the same tests with my multimeter, same results. The belt is okay and the alternator is turning, just not charging. I haven't hooked up directly to the alternator terminals, but can give that a try tomorrow if its even possible.

Furthermore, that Rock Auto alternator sounds great, but we don't have those in Austin TX. Autozone said they sell rebuilt OEM units for $170. Anyone have experience with that, or another store that might have them locally. I just spent everything I have on this car (and then some) so want to get one as affordably as possible. I think the seller might be offering to help me pay for it, but I don't expect it of him or anything.
Thanks,
James

Old 07-31-2013, 02:49 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ageofoctane
I was just about to post this same question. New to the forum. Just bought my 03 Mini S JCW this AFTERNOON! Still like new with only 43,000 miles. On my 200 mile drive home, the alternator went out, or already was out ( The seller honestly had no idea, and I can't complain too much because he gave me a great deal ($9,500) over higher offers because I told him it was my dream car and he wanted me to have it). Anyway, the battery isn't charging, is there anything else that should be checked, or is the alternator the only possibility. I did the same tests with my multimeter, same results. The belt is okay and the alternator is turning, just not charging. I haven't hooked up directly to the alternator terminals, but can give that a try tomorrow if its even possible.

Furthermore, that Rock Auto alternator sounds great, but we don't have those in Austin TX. Autozone said they sell rebuilt OEM units for $170. Anyone have experience with that, or another store that might have them locally. I just spent everything I have on this car (and then some) so want to get one as affordably as possible. I think the seller might be offering to help me pay for it, but I don't expect it of him or anything.
Thanks,
James
RockAuto is strictly on-line but even Autozone or Car Quest are okay. Car Quest had the same alternator for 220. It was a TYC brand new, no core.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 PM
philnjean
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Javskies

Oh wow I didn't even see you asked that lol. I used a voltmeter at the battery and at the terminal in the engine compartment and with the car off I got 12.7 and with the car on I got 12.3. I have plenty of tools but I'm not sure which ones to single out that would help me in this
You should be reading 14.5 - 15 volts at the battery with the car on under load. I'd be changing the alternator. I worked for autozone for a few years and I honestly wouldn't put one of their alternators in my car. They'll give a lifetime warranty but you may end up spending the rest of your cars life swapping out the alternator.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:02 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by philnjean
You should be reading 14.5 - 15 volts at the battery with the car on under load. I'd be changing the alternator. I worked for autozone for a few years and I honestly wouldn't put one of their alternators in my car. They'll give a lifetime warranty but you may end up spending the rest of your cars life swapping out the alternator.
Ok,

1 - Fuse #38, 10A, make sure its good. Put your meter on both sides of the fuse you should have zero volts. if you have 12v, the fuse is open. (blown.)

2 - There are three wires on the alternator. A fat red wire, this goes back to the battery. Between the battery + pin, and the red wire in the harness you should have 0.2 volts or less (0.0 volts). Do not pierce the wire, just touch the correct pin inside the connector on the harness. If you have more than this you have a bad connection between the battery and the alternator.

3 - There should be a small connector 3 wires. The Green/White wire comes from that fuse inside the car.. again, battery + to the inside of that connector. Unplug the connector (car on, but not RUNNING!). touch the pin inside the connector in the harness, you should have 0.2 volts or less between the + battery connection and that pin. If you have more than 0.2 volts, you have a bad connection.

The black/yel wire that comes off the alternator goes to the light on the dash, the white wire goes to the regulator inside the PCM.

If everything checks out ok, get a new alternator.

Bosch, Denso, Panasonic, Valeo all made units for that car.

I prefer Rock Auto as well... go with a name brand.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:27 PM
ageofoctane
2nd Gear
I went ahead and ordered the alternator from Autozone earlier today, before the last couple of people chimed in about how not to get one from there. It will be at my house before I get home from work. Hopefully it works out. I'll get a refund someday if it goes out I suppose, or buy a different one, and just have to do the job again. This will be my first time working on the Mini, since I just got it yesterday. Hopefully all goes well. It's pretty crowded in there.
I checked all the fuses. #38 is an empty space on my car, nothing goes there. I did find #41? was blown (5A for power steering and something that looks like P))) . I couldn't really get to the wires very well, but all the connections were tight.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:15 AM
ageofoctane
2nd Gear
Oh yeah, and replacing the power steering fuse that was blown didn't help.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Wookie
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a question to throw out there. I know most of the units available through retail (pelican parts, rockauto, even auto zone) are reman alternators. Are the overly pricy ones from MINI dealers actually new or just reman ones as well?

Last time I needed to replace a caliper, the MINI OEM one the same reman as the one from pelican.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
Just a question to throw out there. I know most of the units available through retail (pelican parts, rockauto, even auto zone) are reman alternators. Are the overly pricy ones from MINI dealers actually new or just reman ones as well?

Last time I needed to replace a caliper, the MINI OEM one the same reman as the one from pelican.
Normally, it should be new from the dealer. I bought one from Penske and it was brand new. I've had bad luck with reman alternators with my winter beater, so I chose the pricey option. The oem one lasted 125000km (around 77000 miles) on my '05.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:53 PM
ageofoctane
2nd Gear
Autozone alternator installed, and all is well with the Mini. Even better, the seller sent me a check for the part. Installation wasn't too bad in the end either.