Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Strange noises under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Gtouch
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange noises under the hood

hey guys my 06 R53 just started to give me some issues.

It started about a week ago while I was driving the car and tturned the A/C on. Right as I turned it on the engine almost died and went into limp mode. I turned the car off and turned it back on now it is throwing a CEL. So I keep driving with the A/C off and try to turn it on again and it did the same thing.

The next morning went to start the car and it startes up fine with no CEL anymore and the car was running fine. I did not try the A/C again as I didn't want to try it.

Since then the car has been fine since two days ago. I was driving home at night and I was accelerating in 2nd gear around 2000-2500 rpm and the car went into limp mode and had a CEL. I turned the car off and on again and drove it home fine with no other issues other than it having a CEL again.

Yesterday I started the car up in the morning and no more CEL but I heard this very loud ticking from the engine bay(it could be heard from 3 houses down).The ticking would go for about 5 seconds then stop for 5 then start for another 5 ect. I opened the hood and it sounded like it was from the engine and i put my hand of the intercooler pipe on the left side and could feel the ticking or rattling however you may put it. So I drove my other car to work.

Today I started the car up and for the first second there was no weird noises then I heard was sounded to me like something solid and small running through the engine loose. Whatever it is it hit three times then went away and I turned the car off.

That is about it I am going to try and start it again while taking a video to show the sound. Until then if anyone has anysort of idea what I could be in for or has had the same issue please help me. Thank you!

EDIT: Yesterday it sounded like this https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...is-normal.html

still worried about what I heard this morning I will start the car up agian tonight to see if I hear it again.

Last edited by Gtouch; 07-30-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:55 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Bet it is the crank damper....(did no watch the vid).
They separate where the rubber and the metal meet...and start to slip under load....can then sometimes grab a bit...then slip..
When it is slipping you car has NO water pump, no supercharger, no alternator, and no ac.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:54 PM
cnyilas
2nd Gear
I would call AAA to pick it up and bring it to the shop. If something is loose in the engine you shouldn't drive it at all. I had a similar problem with another car and I had a flatbed pick it up. The dealer said if I drove it it would have blown the engine.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:39 PM
philnjean
1st Gear
It's hard to tell from the video but that doesn't sound like an engine knock. Sounds like its on the outside of the engine.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:47 PM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I had the same symptoms when my crank pulley went.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:44 PM
Gtouch
2nd Gear
To me it sounded like either something going through the engine or the belt slapping three times. Is that possible if the damper goes bad? Gonna be taking the car to a shop on Saturday. In the mean time the past day I've just moved the car around my drive way and I have no ticking and no weird noises or CEL.