Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Bucking, stalling problem..SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 03:59 PM
SpiderKnight
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bucking, stalling problem..SOLVED

Just posting my experience with my MINI so that others will have a resource to draw upon.

Symptoms:
At the day of the incidence, the car experienced mild bucking (alternating low or no power, to normal power) when pulling away from a stop. At first I thought I had tripped the DSC system, because that's what it felt like. However, there was no blinking DSC light or any visible water or mess on the roadway that could cause the wheels to lose traction.

After two more stops, the car stalled. Luckily, it stalled near work so a coworker helped me push the car to the side of the road.

Diagnostics:
I started to check the basic stuff, electrical power, obstruction in the intake, bypass valve, spark plug wires. They all seemed to be OK. NO CODES!!!

At this point, the car would turn over, but not start.

I did notice that the fuel pump was not on. Checked fuses and they seemed to be OK.

Tried the 'Fonzi' method on the gas tank (thanks NAM). That is reaching underneath the car just forward of the rear driver side wheel and banging the heck out of the gas tank.

Sure enough I would get a sick sounding whir of the fuel pump and I was at least able to drive to the nearest garage.

Solution:
New fuel pump and filter and the car was driving normal again.

::Note:: Car has 185k, never had a problem with the fuel pump and never changed the fuel filter

Last edited by SpiderKnight; 08-09-2013 at 04:01 PM. Reason: More Notes
Old 08-12-2013, 07:05 AM
RobertJ
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good information. What year and model? Thanks for posting!