Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Scratched Paint - help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 11:51 AM
mini jet
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratched Paint - help!

After almost two years of being very, very, very, careful it finally happened. We scratched the paint on the door of my dark green Countryman. Well, my husband did it with his belt buckle while mounting our new bike rack on the roof. The scratch is not very deep but you can feel it with your finger and it's about 3 inches long. The dealer said to try compound but before I do - any advice or experience? I'm afraid I'm going to make it worse! Much appreciated, in advance.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Wrex21
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mini jet
After almost two years of being very, very, very, careful it finally happened. We scratched the paint on the door of my dark green Countryman. Well, my husband did it with his belt buckle while mounting our new bike rack on the roof. The scratch is not very deep but you can feel it with your finger and it's about 3 inches long. The dealer said to try compound but before I do - any advice or experience? I'm afraid I'm going to make it worse! Much appreciated, in advance.
It really depends on how deep the scratch is. If it is just in the finish, then you can get it out easily with compound. If you can actually see the metal underneath the paint, then it is most likely too deep for compound to be effective.

Just this weekend, I removed a lot of scratches from my wife's car that were in her finish. I had the doors looking like new again in no time.

Here's how:

First, use Meguiar's Ultra Cut Compound. This can be found at Auto Zone or Advance. Here is
a link to it on Amazon a link to it on Amazon
where it may be cheaper. I just put some of the compound on a clean terry towel and rub it into the scratch in a circular motion. Then, use a clean part of the towel to rub it off. You will hear high pitch scratching noises. What you are doing with the compound is using it like sandpaper and actually filling in the scratch in the finish with the finish beside of it and smoothing it out. You can also us a buffer. Just follow the directions on the bottle.

Then, put on
Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish
over top of the area you just applied the Compound to. This is the only compound and polish I have worked with and it works wonders. That is why I am recommending it.

Oh and this stuff will not hurt your paint or finish. It's super safe.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
or ... find a good detailer and ask them to take a look and give you an estimate ..

The dealer is saying in other words: you can buff that out ....

and that may be true .... but only if the buffer is in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing

Wrex IS 100 % correct in his recommendations IF you want to dig into this yourself ..... and IME what he recommends requires practice and experience

hence, find a detailer

Last edited by Capt_bj; 08-13-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:10 PM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where are you located? I'm sure that there is a member on here close to you who can help. I'm in Ohio if that works.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
and I'm on the Space Coast ... you can bring it by

and here's a wild - over the top idea .....

it is a car

it is over two years old

a scratch? Be happy this is the first one.

You are gonna keep this car forever? Yea, right. If you think resale value depends on one scratch you have not sold/traded in a car b4 . . .

My 79 has plenty of blemishes .... aka patina!

don't stress one scratch ..... it hurts, I know, but your child will also eventually scrape a knee that results in a scar. This will NOT banish them from being a super model.

proof?

Last edited by Capt_bj; 08-13-2013 at 02:59 PM.