Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Rolling around transmition noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 08:06 AM
cavemankayaks
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rolling around transmition noise

Last week, I got my first Mini, a 2006 Cooper S with 80k on the clock. I noticed a noise like there is something loose in the transmission and it was just rolling around near the flywheel. Then, on Friday night it didn't start up the first couple of times, there was no noise at all. She drove great all day Saturday, then on Saturday night it wouldn't start, and I got a single click like the starter went out, so I tried To push start it and pop the clutch and when I let go of the clutch it just stopped. I trailered it to the shop and we couldn't get the crank to turn even with a pry bar. When we removed the starter the motor turned again and we put a starter in and she starts up and runs fine again. But, there is still a noise like something is loose in the transmission when at high rpm. When I spool her up I hear a noise like marbles rolling around, and as the RPMs go down the noise slows down then goes away. It doesn't do this every time. I have heard videos of the flywheel rattle and it does not sound like this.

I was wondering if any of y'all have heard of this problem and if there is any sort of access plate to be able to see the flywheel and clutch?

Thanks in advance For the advice and help. I have searched all over the internet for this for a couple days now and I couldn't find anything. But, if I missed it, please don't troll me too bad.

Last edited by cavemankayaks; 08-21-2013 at 08:34 AM.