Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Transmission hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 05:21 AM
JasonG
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission hard shifting

No clue what is going on with my Mini, in the morning it is VERY hard to shift into any gear almost feels like I am forcing it into gear. The dealership I bought the car from says they replaced the clutch acouple months ago. After warming up sometimes it gets better. The clutch engages and disengages very close to the floor, I would say it's about an inch off the floor. The pedal also does not come all the way up with my foot off of it. I can put my foot underneath it and pull it up the rest of the way, no matter how long I drive it the pedal does not come up. I'll have one of my techs throw it on a rack today and look underneath it but I keep readig on forums there is no adjustment to the clutch.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:03 PM
mrbean
5th Gear
Received 168 Likes on 128 Posts
Likely air in the clutch hydraulics; possibly a faulty clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:31 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbean
Likely air in the clutch hydraulics; possibly a faulty clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder.
This would be my guess also.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:06 PM
tberardi
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonG
No clue what is going on with my Mini, in the morning it is VERY hard to shift into any gear almost feels like I am forcing it into gear. The dealership I bought the car from says they replaced the clutch acouple months ago. After warming up sometimes it gets better. The clutch engages and disengages very close to the floor, I would say it's about an inch off the floor. The pedal also does not come all the way up with my foot off of it. I can put my foot underneath it and pull it up the rest of the way, no matter how long I drive it the pedal does not come up. I'll have one of my techs throw it on a rack today and look underneath it but I keep readig on forums there is no adjustment to the clutch.
I agree. First check the clutch master cylinder in the footwell to see if it is leaking. If not, then remove the battery and battery box and check the clutch slave cylinder to see if it is leaking. I suspect it will be bad because the pedal doesn't come up on its own but it could also be a bad release bearing. Do you see a big brake fluid leak under your engine? If both are fine, then bleed the clutch hydraulics. It you bled successfully and it still does not disengage the clutch while trying to engage first gear or reverse gear with the engine running, then you either have a broken/or bent clutch fork arm, bad release bearing or worn out clutch disc. All requires removing the transmission to fix. Good luck. Ask as many questions as you like as you perform these tests.

Last edited by tberardi; 09-01-2013 at 05:13 PM.