Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Preventative maintenance - age versus mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaFox
Alright, here is what I'm about to order from Way. What's missing?
Belt
Tensioner stop
Plugs
Tensioner bushings
ATI damper pulley
Crank bolt
Crank seal
Belt tool
Redline MTL
Oil filter & drain plug
Oil filter socket
Bentley manual
LightInSight (not maintenance-related, but I need it if it works!)

I will buy water wetter and oil from NAPA.
Get a Damper seal and Crank Position Sensor seal as well. As long as you’re there. I also want for a new tensioner rather than just the bushings. But that me. I hate doing a job twice.

///Rich

Old 10-13-2013, 03:47 AM
AlphaFox
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
Get a Damper seal and Crank Position Sensor seal as well. As long as you’re there. I also want for a new tensioner rather than just the bushings. But that me. I hate doing a job twice.

///Rich
Damper seal = front crank seal?

Old 10-13-2013, 04:37 AM
AlphaFox
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minsanity
Stock those cheap O-rings/gaskets & replace when(not if) they leak. More due to age than miles.
They're not too difficult to do. The crank position sensor O-ring might need car on service mode.
Tensioner damper is just held on by 2 bolts. Remove & Check. If resistance is gone, buy the whole Gates assembly around $70. Same as OEM except for price & oddly, cheaper than the Stabilus damper itself if you can source 1. Those damper bushes fail, too. Way has both Delrin & Powerflex replacement bushes.
Talk to Way on the stop. Alta's design was ok, just needed to be thicker, I guess. And it's pretty noisy due to vibrations. I'm happy w/ my 4month test results of Alta's other design- the Adjustable Tensioner Stop. This is best paired w/ Stretch-Fit Belt of stock size, if you can source 1.
Tensioner damper is quite dead. I ordered the Gates assembly, and I'll swap out the bushings before installing. When Way showed me his tensioner stop he suggested just installing an o-ring between the stop and the damper to prevent any noise.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:47 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Rich must be referring to the crank shaft seal behind the harmonic damper PN11111485171, if I'm not mistaken.
I'm not sure how long the O-ring would last w/ constant moving contact w/the slot on the tensioner stop. Just ignore the noise. It's a minor downside of that type of stop. The tensioner damper also doesn't last very long. Good thing Gates made its price w/in reach.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:49 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
You still have your low speed fan?

Old 10-13-2013, 06:55 AM
AlphaFox
1st Gear
You still have your low speed fan?
I'm honestly not sure. I'm reading through that thread right now. Is there a quick way to check?

Also, I got a great surprise this morning! I am doing a brake flush today, and when I pulled my rear wheel, I found something I didn't know was there. At least now I understand why I can get the car to rotate so nicely...

P.S. I hate whoever torqued my wheel studs to two-hundred-something ft-lbs.

Attached Thumbnails Preventative maintenance - age versus mileage-img_0492.jpg  
Old 10-13-2013, 07:36 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
If your noisy hi speed fan cycles on & off w/ A/C on, low speed resistor is toast. The low is supposed to be constantly on w/ A/C til pressure reaches 18bar. This is how our fan works:
Low speed is switched on at 105°C (221° F) coolant temp and off when the temperature drops to 101°C (214° F).

High speed is switched on at 112° C (234° F) and remains on until the system coolant temperature drops by 4° C (7.2° F, so @ around 227F) at which point the system will revert to Low Speed.

The cooling fan will also operate on Low Speed when the Air Conditioning is switched on and system pressure reaches 8 bar (116 psi). Should the Air Conditioning system pressure rise to 18 bar (261 psi), the fan will automatically run on the High Speed.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:25 AM
AlphaFox
1st Gear
If your noisy hi speed fan cycles on & off w/ A/C on, low speed resistor is toast. The low is supposed to be constantly on w/ A/C til pressure reaches 18bar. This is how our fan works:
Low speed is switched on at 105°C (221° F) coolant temp and off when the temperature drops to 101°C (214° F).

High speed is switched on at 112° C (234° F) and remains on until the system coolant temperature drops by 4° C (7.2° F, so @ around 227F) at which point the system will revert to Low Speed.

The cooling fan will also operate on Low Speed when the Air Conditioning is switched on and system pressure reaches 8 bar (116 psi). Should the Air Conditioning system pressure rise to 18 bar (261 psi), the fan will automatically run on the High Speed.
I just checked, and my low-speed fan comes on at 105, and turns off again at 101. When I turn on my A/C, the high-speed fan comes on, regardless of water temp.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:48 AM
AlphaFox
1st Gear
I feel better with each bit of maintenance I do right now. I've found some seriously neglected parts, like the brake fluid/dark lager:

Attached Thumbnails Preventative maintenance - age versus mileage-img_0493.jpg  
Old 10-13-2013, 11:56 AM
AlphaFox
1st Gear
And both air filters...

Attached Thumbnails Preventative maintenance - age versus mileage-img_0466.jpg   Preventative maintenance - age versus mileage-img_0455.jpg  
Old 10-20-2013, 03:50 PM
AlphaFox
1st Gear
I replaced my spark plugs this morning, and I'm amazed at the difference in drivability. The engine is smoother at idle, as well as under acceleration and engine braking. I don't know whether to credit the deterioration of the old plugs (see picture below) or the fact that both #2 and #3 were not even hand-tight (note the carbon above the threads).

Attached Thumbnails Preventative maintenance - age versus mileage-img_0510.jpg