Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

ASC Failure??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 09:54 PM
MiniBlueVancouver
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ASC Failure??

I am hearing a hissing sound coming from the ASC control unit area. I put a light on it to see if I could see anything and it was smoking a little. I disconnected the wiring harness from it but the smoking continued for several minutes.

Now the car was parked in the rain and I had to hood opened too (because I had to jump start it), so it could've been water vapor...but it continued far too long for it to be that.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

A little back story:
My ABS light came on a few weeks back, a short time later the ASC light came on too. I did some research and I was thinking wheel speed sensor...but I didn't have the tire pressure warning light on too.

Recently the tach quit working, the airbag and hood/hatch warning lights came on in the speedo area.

Bryan

Old 09-30-2013, 05:03 AM
mrbean
5th Gear
Received 168 Likes on 128 Posts
The "smoke" was more likely than not just steam.

You're going to need to get the ASC unit scanned for error codes to properly diagnose the issue.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:19 PM
MiniBlueVancouver
2nd Gear
So I got my new alternator installed and my battery charged up last night but I didn't have a chance to fire it up until just now.

The car started fine but the ASC, ABS, Tire monitor lights are all lit up. I connected to my OBDII and I've got two codes: P1607 and P1613.

In addition to all that, the temperature gauge is bouncing off the top end and the lighting for it is flickering on/off.

I read a post where someone had said they had a short in the wiring harness for the ASC/ABS module. Given my electrical issues, I'm wondering if this is my problem...it would also explain my smoke.

Thoughts? Please?

Bryan

Old 10-06-2013, 09:29 AM
MiniBlueVancouver
2nd Gear
I tore the car down a bunch yesterday and sure enough, the loom going to the ABS/ASC controller is messed up. Almost all of the wires were damaged, a few were completely severed, and 4 had fuses themselves together. I'll post a couple pics of the damage.

I cut out lengths from the damaged wires and soldered them back together.

I haven't had a chance to see if the soldering fixed it yet. I'll post an update later today or tomorrow.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:59 PM
dane
Neutral
Well I know you post is a bit old, but it sure is helping me.
Did you post any pictures?
I have an 05-S adn same issue with error codes, losing speedo and tech, temp light...of course they all come and go.
Dealer tried to tell me to by all new sensors, like $800 worth, then after I told them of the 1607 code they said it "might" be a wiring rubbing issue.

So now I will team inot mine to see what I can find.
Can you tell me where you found your issue at?

Thanks

Old 06-04-2015, 06:45 AM
usafdrew
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Same issue here. Had it for over a year now and I'm so annoyed that the Mini is no longer being driven. I've been working feverishly to find the cause, with the interior completely removed. So far I've had no luck - every wire harness, connector and module looks perfect. Except I can't get to the DSC harness due to the way Mini wedged the DSC module in there. Someone suggested the alternator, which I will check next. Here are some threads of my and others same issue:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-haywire.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...er-issues.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ode-p1613.html

http://www.motoring alliance.com/forums/cooper-s/6461-board-computer-going-nuts.html (remove the space between motoring and alliance. Hope this isn't breaking any forum rule. Even though it's another forum, seems necessary to troubleshoot this issue.)

There's more threads out there with the same issue, just haven't linked them all. A search for P1613 P1607 should bring up more.

Anyone find a cure yet? I'd really like to get the Mini well again and back on the road.

Last edited by usafdrew; 06-04-2015 at 06:51 AM.