Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Random "spark" noise under bonnet

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013 | 05:27 AM
Wrex21
|
1st Gear
Random "spark" noise under bonnet

So I posted a while back when I first bought my Mini because I thought that the noise I heard on start up could be a timing chain issue. I have pinpointed that noise to the typical vacuum pump noise after taking it to the dealer. I just bought the car used so I am still getting used to the sounds of the engine.

Recently the car has been making another noise that I cannot find any videos of that replicate it online. It happens randomly on startup with the engine either hot or cold. I have been trying to replicate it for the past couple of days to get a video to post here, but it hasn't happened so I have no video yet. It has been going on for the past 3 or 4 weeks and my car is ending it's warranty period in about a month so I want to be sure if it is normal or not before taking it in.

The noise sounds exactly like the "spark" noise you would get if you touched the positive and negative ends of a car battery jump start cable together. You know that noise? But it is that noise over and over again in a fast paced, rhythmic tick. Anyone hear anything similar or know what component could be making this sound? I will post a video as soon as it happens again!

Obviously i know a video would be way better, but the sound is so distinct that I figured I could describe it as well. Thanks!

Old 10-01-2013 | 06:05 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Mine was also making that noise occasionally, usually at startup when it was cold and damp. Stopping the engine and restarting would make it go away. I removed all the spark plugs and coil packs to check them, but they all looked good. I haven't heard the noise since I put it back together. That was 4 months ago.

Last edited by Big Jim Swade; 10-01-2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: followup
Old 10-01-2013 | 03:38 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
I know exactly what sound you're hearing, I heard it everyday at startup for a few minutes for the first three months of ownership. Sound is suddenly gone now, sounded like some one left a coil on top of the motor!

The sound comes from around/under the master cylinder area, or right where the steering system is located against the firewall. It also sounds like an electronic solenoid.

Old 10-02-2013 | 04:24 PM
bmx045
4th Gear
cold start sequence in BMW's call for a near fully-closed wastegate for less than a minute, it's the gate flap rattling against the turbine housing in order to direct all exhaust gas into the turbine housing to heat up the turbo to temp quicker. normal procedure, and it's quite noticeable.