Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

cannot program keys after BCM replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:06 PM
russian2
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cannot program keys after BCM replacement

I have just replaced the body control module - all the issues with the lights and blinkers are gone.

But the fobs would not lock/unlock the car remotely anymore. I have tried a couple of reprogramming approaches published here.

Does BCM have anything to do with the fobs? How do I mate them?

PS: I have found https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...cm-change.html but it does not really explain the details. How do the copy? Is it something printed on the BCM body (because all the labels have rusted out) or do they connect it or is it something they do before replacing the module?

PPS:
http://forum.minicooper.org/showthread.php?t=9924
quote: "A new BCM must be programmed at dealer, or you can buy used without recoding if you swap other electronic modules (such as keys/ECU/engine imobilliser-EWS/etc) which need to be a coded match, all taken from the dismantled donor Mini as a complete package."
I wonder if they can re-code a used one. Does anyone provide this service? Will call the dealer tomorrow to check how much they would ask...

Last edited by russian2; 10-03-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:36 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 762 Likes on 622 Posts
Yes you need someone with the BMW software to read your key data out of your old module with it installed in the car, and then transfer it to your new module.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 10-18-2013, 08:53 AM
russian2
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a final update on this:

Found an independed European cars shop which did the reprogramming for $119 plus tax. The used BCM from eBay was $88 shipped.

At first, the kid at the shop was convinced that he does not need to touch the old block - "the other modules know the codes, I will just write them into the replacement module". Mistake. The other modules maybe know some codes, but not the key codes. After I have convinced him to do it differently, he had to take a piece of paper, write down the keys while the old block was plugged in and then re-type them into the "new" (used) replacement module.

I guess my point here is that independent shops can in fact re-program used blocks if they have the fancy scanner.