Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

05 MCS won't shift while the brake pedal is depressed....

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Matthew James Wick
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 MCS won't shift while the brake pedal is depressed....

Hey guys, I've been trying to fix this on my own since August and have failed miserably so I'm hoping I can get a solution for my problem specifically. In August, As I was driving my wife to work, suddenly her mini would not go into gear. No matter what I tried I could not get it into a gear and was forced to pull it to the side of the road, while I continued to fail at getting it into any gear.

The clutch pedal also hit the floor and has absolutely no resistance now. I can pull it back to the top position and with a small push the clutch pedal hits the floor.

As of right now I have replaced the slave and master cylinder and power bled the system twice. Today I went back at it after fixing a leak from the new slave cylinder, and now I can get the car in to gear, but ONLY if I do not touch the brake pedal. The clutch pedal is still limp and I cannot for the life of me get any pressure in it. Once the car is in gear, if I hit the brakes, the car dies... I am completely lost and need to get this problem dealt with once and for all. Any and all help would be MUCH appreciated as I am my wife's transportation to and from work which has forced me to be unable to work until her car is back on the road. Thanks

Old 12-17-2013, 04:17 PM
bjcarter2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not too familiar with the Mini since I just got into them. Is there a shift fork or clutch fork that may be broken and is binding things up. It's a fairly commmon issue with Subarus for those that shift real hard.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew James Wick
...The clutch pedal is still limp and I cannot for the life of me get any pressure in it. ...
Take a look at this video and see if you missed anything.

Essentially you have to bleed the slave with the pedal compressed. There is a tool for that but you can also use a friend.

Rich

Old 12-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Matthew James Wick
Neutral
Still nothing after multiple attempts at bleeding. Car starts normally and will shift as long as the brake pedal is not depressed. No response from the clutch pedal at all either. Any more ideas? Cannot afford to get this towed and worked on by a shop..... =(

Old 12-17-2013, 06:25 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The brake & clutch use the same master cylinder. I'd start looking there.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:15 PM
tbearmini
3rd Gear
? Bleed the brakes to see if any air in them.