Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Tire Pressure Button STUCK

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 06:30 PM
El_Jefe
6th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Tire Pressure Button STUCK

I dont need 1000 youtube videos for reseting the light... man, google provides a lot of crap.

What i do need is to figure out how to release a stuck tire pressure button. I was cleaning the interior and wiped it down with griot's interior cleaner and then 303 protectant stuff. Really standard things. I wiped all around the area and I think the button got stuck.

r53/MCS 2006 6-speed

Any idea how to raise the button? I dont give a crap about my tire pressure, i just want the yellow light at 3,000,000 watts to turn off.

has anyone ever popped the cover off the emergency brake where that button is? Or any idea how to make that button come up more?

I havent posted in like 5 years

Old 12-21-2013, 07:13 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
I had the same problem. I fixed it, but if you use my method, you may scrape up some fingers (depending on how big your digits are)...

Assuming its a left hand drive, sit in the drivers seat,
Using your right hand reach/pry the edge of the center console up slightly from the carpet edge to wiggle a few fingers underneath directly under the button
Wiggle your fingers in the direction of the button
If you feel the back of the button unit, push upwards and the whole button unit will pop out

Once you have the unit out you can unplug it and deal with popping the actual button back up.
I think I shoved something very thin between the button and edge of the holder and wiggled. It returned to the proper position.

I've done it a couple of times this way and it works well

Good luck

Old 12-22-2013, 07:00 AM
El_Jefe
6th Gear
wow wiggling sound good. I have to read your post a few times to get it all. I will do everything you say vs bring in for repair... that is my dread for a silly button. I used to design and make electronic toys... i mean this is a button... i will not let you defeat me!

thank you. I will tell you how it goes

Old 12-22-2013, 10:18 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Wonder if the button got some sticky "beverage" or crumbs making it stick...
When this happened on my radio (next to the cupholder...got splashed) I found a bit of plastic safe contact cleaner, and a q-tip with a drop or two of water, and a toothpick worked fine to free it, clean it, lube it and unstick it....
Guess you could pay $$ to take appart the entire console and replace the switch ( with a new or used one)...but doing a 5 minute fix for $10 worked for me on the radio buttons...much more sensitive electrical contacts...so I bet if you are reasonably careful, you can get the tirepreassure reset button working if you have some basic skills.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:20 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
P.S. if the 303 got on the switch rather than something sticky...I bet a spray with the plastic safe contact cleaner will be all you need....bet the stuff coated the contacts inside the switch...

Old 12-22-2013, 07:38 PM
El_Jefe
6th Gear
What is that stuff ? can you give me a link?

Old 12-22-2013, 08:30 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by El_Jefe
What is that stuff ? can you give me a link?
Most any walmart (automotive section), auto parts store or electronics repair place will have it...
CRC brand is the stuff i've gotten at wally world... Should be $4 or so for an aerosol can...pretty sure no shipping.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:40 PM
El_Jefe
6th Gear
ok I just spray it down the edges and wait?

Old 12-22-2013, 09:41 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by El_Jefe
ok I just spray it down the edges and wait?
Yup...spray...wiggle...spray...it evaporates pretty fast...but leaves no residue...and will clean off any contaminates once you get it around the edges.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:50 AM
El_Jefe
6th Gear
thank you so much. I have some hope now. need to buy it tomorrow.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:25 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Had this happen before when people bumped a drink in the MINI. The switch being in the center console and can be popped out , sometimes you can get it from taken the emergency brake boot cover out then popping the switch out from the back. Good advice above from zippy.

Part # 61316909518 Tire Pressure Control Switch / Button

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/61316909518/

You can open up the switch from the back once you unplug it. Should clean that gunk out. Then snap it back together.

Thanks and good luck.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-22-2024, 09:25 AM
EZRAS.HONOR
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's how i solved my issue with the TPMS button:

I realize this thread is over a decade old, but I came across it looking for a solution. Others may as well.

Spraying electronic cleaner and compressed air didn't help... the button just wouldn't "pop back up" no matter what.

New to me, this 2006 R52 S had its amber TPMS warning light constantly illuminated that really annoyed me so I ordered a used button from Willmek auto parts to see if I would be lucky enough that swapping this defective button would solve the issue. Fortunately it was...

There's no need to remove the parking brake housing cover. I took a razor cut knife and gently worked the blade around the button until I had enough room to get a fingernail under it and it popped right out with ease. It is of course hooked to an electrical connection that also removes very easily. Note that you are prying the rectangular casing around the oval button with the tire symbol -- not the oval button itself. Slide the electrical connector off the old, attach it to the new, and insert back into the hole. DONE!!

Grabbed my keys, started the car, and voila... no more amber light!!

Not a bad repair at all, and I am NOT a very mechanically inclined person..