Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Wipers turn on when I turn ignition on!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Gigantor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wipers turn on when I turn ignition on!

What the H?
Every time I start the car, the wipers run through a cycle, then turn off. Almost always it's both front and rear, sometimes just the back.

I did some research and seems the BCM could be bad or there's another relay wired into the wiper circuit, that could be causing the problem. I read that some have had their wipers turn on and are unable to turn them off.

Can anyone agreed some light on this?

Old 01-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Gigantor
1st Gear
Anyone have a schematic for this car? 2004 S.
Maybe that would help me.

Now they come on whenever they want.
And, when I lower the windows, the AC fan fades, then turns off.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
You might find a wiring diagram on RealOEM.com.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do
There will be some suggestions that it could be battery related. When funny things start happening electrical it often points to the battery nearing it's end. the OBC is very sensitive and it doesn't take but a little weakness for it to start causing strange things to happen and there is nothing common among symptoms. The frustrating thing is that occasionally the battery is reported to check out pretty much OK.

On the other hand, my knuckle often touches the wiper lever unbeknownst to me when I put the key in the ignition and the wipers obey my knuckles command when I turn the key.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:17 PM
Gigantor
1st Gear
A battery? Well, it's cheaper than a trip to the dealer.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Rough estimate - how many years and how many miles on the current battery? If you've got in the neighborhood of say 60 to 90K miles and the long side of 4 or more years it well could be. It would be worth your time to stop by an Auto Zone or other dealer of that ilk and have them check the battery static and under load and see what it says. If needs be they can swap it out while you wait and have you on your way in no time. All they will charge you for is the battery and disposal fee.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:09 PM
Gigantor
1st Gear
It has 80k miles, probably time for a new battery.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:42 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
After the call to your bookie and morning coffee with the coffee gang your next appointment should be the battery store for sure.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:12 PM
SniperDetailing
4th Gear
Are you sure you didn't just bump the stalk half a click up? That sets it on the rain-sensing setting so if it's not raining out they will wipe once and then stop until they sense rain.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
good guess there ... do you have rain sensing??? (I never did so I'd never think of this)

if I suspected a weak battery issue (and I HAVE seen MINIs do weird things with a weak battery) I'd get a know good battery, sit it in the boot and add it to the circuit with a set of jumper cables then try some start stops.

If the 'on at start' persists it is not from a weak battery. If it goes away . . . .

I'm not saying to drive around like this .. just eliminate the idea of a weak battery and the big draw at startup . . you could even use a jumper pak . . .

Old 01-29-2014, 11:34 PM
Gigantor
1st Gear
When I start the car it runs the wipers. All the levers are in off position. Now, the wipers turn on as I am driving - randomly. Sometimes just the back wiper, sometimes both wipers.
My AC was on and I hit the switch to roll my window down, the AC fan turns off and the lights on the control console dim and turn off.

I'm hoping it's just a battery. About a month ago my power steering went out. Before that, my passenger door lock doesn't pop up and open the door.

Geez, what gives?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gigantor
When I start the car it runs the wipers. All the levers are in off position. Now, the wipers turn on as I am driving - randomly. Sometimes just the back wiper, sometimes both wipers.
My AC was on and I hit the switch to roll my window down, the AC fan turns off and the lights on the control console dim and turn off.

I'm hoping it's just a battery. About a month ago my power steering went out. Before that, my passenger door lock doesn't pop up and open the door.

Geez, what gives?
Yup, Weird electrical gremlins. It all points to a failing battery which is more often than not THE only common link to all those things and at 80k miles you've gotten your money's worth from it and more based on the averages.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:41 AM
SniperDetailing
4th Gear

Geez, what gives?
Yep, sounds like a dead battery to me.

Power steering pump is a very known issue on these cars and the door lock might just be a case of the bowden cable stretching or popping out from use over time

Old 02-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Gigantor
1st Gear
Well, I replaced the battery with a new one, still got the same problems.

Wipers stay on.
Heater controls do not work.
Radio turns off and on intermittently.

BCM?

Any issues with buying a used one online? Other than the fact it might not work?

Last edited by Gigantor; 02-01-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Gigantor
1st Gear
Now, the power steering is working again. It hasn't worked in two months! Wipers are still messed up, but the power steering works.

What the heck is going on??

Old 02-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Gigantor
1st Gear
Is this something the dealer could diagnose?

Old 02-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Gigantor
1st Gear
Rats! I picked up a BCM from ebay, and it does the same thing. No heater controls, wipers keep running, radio turns on and off.
Now what?

Old 02-05-2014, 12:38 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
check you main engine ground strap... a bad ground can cause surges in the electrics ... usually it is the body side bolt working loose or corrosion.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Gigantor
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
check you main engine ground strap... a bad ground can cause surges in the electrics ... usually it is the body side bolt working loose or corrosion.
The main ground strap at the battery?

Old 02-05-2014, 02:01 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
The engine ground strap is on the passenger side of the engine, below and to the right of the upper engine mount as you are looking into the engine compartment. I check the security of that and the battery grounding strap periodically for security. Many things are written about MINI quirks if either strap loosens.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:00 PM
md3788
Neutral
What the H?
Every time I start the car, the wipers run through a cycle, then turn off. Almost always it's both front and rear, sometimes just the back.

I did some research and seems the BCM could be bad or there's another relay wired into the wiper circuit, that could be causing the problem. I read that some have had their wipers turn on and are unable to turn them off.

Can anyone agreed some light on this?
I know this is old but how did you fix the issue? I am having this same problem. My wipers come on when starting my car and at random times. At that time the radio cuts out and the airbag light will be dimly lit

Old 07-10-2017, 01:09 AM
Reece Paintain
Neutral
Soluiton

Originally Posted by md3788
I know this is old but how did you fix the issue? I am having this same problem. My wipers come on when starting my car and at random times. At that time the radio cuts out and the airbag light will be dimly lit
I know this is really old but here is the solution for anyone else having this problem.

it's the ignition switch in the steering column, it's not feeding 12v rail to the stereo and to part of the bcm which causes it to spaz out.

buy a new one or take it apart and clean the connectors that fixed mine.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:01 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,096 Likes on 1,870 Posts
+1 most of the time its the ignition switch.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...on-switch.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172