Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Garage door opener working only intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:53 AM
AJVincelli
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage door opener working only intermittently

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and a new MINI owner as of a few months ago! I have a 2005 MINI Cooper S Convertible (R52), and I'm working out a few of the kinks. I have a lovely "integrated universal remote control" system on the rearview mirror, which the pros set up for me (I have rolling codes on my garage doors and I HATE scrambling up and down ladders before the time runs out).

Anyway, the programming is fine: Both of my garage doors happily respond to my garage door opener from the MINI rearview remote control. However, if I press the button more than once, the amber light doesn't light up anymore and of course the garage door doesn't respond. I have to sit in my car and wait ~30 seconds before pressing the button again, and THEN the garage door will respond. What gives? It's as if there is a battery in the remote control that is running out of juice, except I can't find that info anywhere. I would hate to take a screwdriver to the rearview mirror and pry it open without knowing if there is, in fact, a small battery that needs to be replaced.

Can't be a fuse, because it works the first time. Loose wiring? Doubtful. Weak battery? Never had a startup problem. Corroded contacts? Not if it worked 30 seconds ago. I'm totally out of ideas.

Help! What should I do?

If I get a suggestion, I promise to try it and post the results! Thanks in advance!