Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Battery + Power Steering problems on 2006 MINI Cooper

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 01:50 PM
boboeufs
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery + Power Steering problems on 2006 MINI Cooper

I have an '06 Mini Cooper hardtop and for the past few weeks I've noticed a few times when I start the car that the clock/trip odometer has been reset, and the window is slightly open. The battery is only 2 years old, so I was surprised by this. Then this morning I noticed some noises when turning the steering wheel so I checked and the power steering fluid reservoir is empty. Could there be any connection between these two problems? Any suggestions on what I should do? I'm not really a car guy and I hate going to the MINI dealer because the prices are so steep, but I don't know if Pep Boys will be able to work on my kind of car. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:20 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,873 Posts
The power steering reservoir is empty most likely due to a leak in the PS lines. The PS fluid is CHF 11 S and is in the link.

When the fluid is low the PS will make a loud noise , much louder then the normal power steering whine when the fluid is full. I would get some fluid as soon as possible. And also check for that leak.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hose-pics.html

On the battery , there could be a low voltage, a bad ground connection. I would check the connection at the terminals to make sure they are not loose. When the battery goes bad weird things happen. Also have the battery load tested at a local place.

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-19-2014, 02:20 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
First thing, use the correct PS fluid to fill it back up, Pentosin 11S. Anything else will ruin the system if it is not already ruined by lack of fluid. Most likely one of the PS hoses is leaking. You need to learn how to open the hood & check the oil, antifreeze & PS fluid.

As far your battery, yes it could be going bad. Have it checked before replacing.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Javskies
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the same exact syptoms with my 06. for the ps i bought the fluid from advandced auto online and used their 30% off coupon and just picked it up in the store. great way to same money and takes the same amount of time as if you just went to the store in the first place.

i also had a battery test done while i was there and we figured out that it was the alternator going bad and not charging the battery, not the actual battery itself that was bad. so have them do the test for you

Old 02-20-2014, 07:47 PM
boboeufs
Neutral
Do you think if I just filled the reservoir back up with fluid it would be okay to wait a couple of months until it gets warmer to change the hoses? This is of course assuming that the leak is slow enough to last until then.

Also regarding the battery, if I bring it to get tested can they check it while it's still in the car, or do I have to remove it?

Thanks

Old 02-21-2014, 05:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Depends on how bad the leak is, you don't want to run the PS pump dry/ rack. Fill it up , should be between the lines on the end of that little screw on cap dipstick.

Then start the car turn the wheel a couple times back and forth, let it cool down. Top it off if it not between the lines. Take a very short drive. Then look under the MINI in the front, see heavy leak or if the level is very low / or no fluid in the reservoir. I would get those line fixed as you have a major leak. Which ever one you can see leaking from the link I posted.

Thanks

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-21-2014, 11:12 AM
boboeufs
Neutral
I filled it up, went out for a short drive, came back and the level still looks good, no puddles on the floor, so it doesn't seem to be a major leak. Still, maybe it's time for me to replace those supply and return hoses. Is this what I need to purchase? http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2006-C...nes/ES2628499/

Old 02-24-2014, 08:25 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yep, Sounds like a slow leak, and was not refilled or checked periodically.

Those are the two lines and hardware.