Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Obdii scanner not pulling codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Iamomeed
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obdii scanner not pulling codes

*OBDII not reading codes

Hi,

I have a 2008 cooper sidewalk edition convertible. I have the common problem of ABS lights and triangle with exclamation point. In the mornings when I start the car no lights show up the after 2 minutes of driving softly the brakes vibrates and make a grinding sound. Then the 2 lights come on and the car seems to run fine afterwards.

I bought an OBDII scanner and no codes woulds come up. I took it to my mechanic and he had a more professional scanner and he couldn't pull any codes either. He thought it may be the ABS pump or that the computer is bad.

What are your opinions please. how hard is it to change the computer and kind should i get, (i've seen aftermarket types)

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2014, 08:04 AM
two250
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBD II scanners will only pull Check Engine Light codes. If you're getting an ABS light the dealer might be your only option...

Old 03-10-2014, 08:10 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by two250
OBD II scanners will only pull Check Engine Light codes. If you're getting an ABS light the dealer might be your only option...
+1
The "pro" level odb2 scanner can often pull the manfacures codes...
Since you have a brake issue.... You investigate yet?

Old 03-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Iamomeed
*OBDII not reading codes

Hi,

I have a 2008 cooper sidewalk edition convertible. I have the common problem of ABS lights and triangle with exclamation point. In the mornings when I start the car no lights show up the after 2 minutes of driving softly the brakes vibrates and make a grinding sound. Then the 2 lights come on and the car seems to run fine afterwards.

I bought an OBDII scanner and no codes woulds come up. I took it to my mechanic and he had a more professional scanner and he couldn't pull any codes either. He thought it may be the ABS pump or that the computer is bad.

What are your opinions please. how hard is it to change the computer and kind should i get, (i've seen aftermarket types)

Thanks!

If your mechanic tells you this without seeing the codes, I'd find another shop or be very careful. It takes a proper OBDII reader to read anything else than Engine codes. Most scanners will have a generic option for other brands, like our Techstream at work (Toyota scanner), but won't let you see abs, trans, airbag, etc. I bought a Mac Tools Launch scanner that does pretty much every brands and modules. My airbag light was on and since I don't have a laptop, it was cheaper than getting a software AND a laptop. 300$, but I'm not limited to Minis, so it wasn't a bad deal.

As for your problem, it could simply be a faulty abs sensor, but the only way to be sure is to have the code and to test it.