Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cold start noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:39 AM
ttechris
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold start noise?

I just picked up a used 2008 Mini Cooper S with approx 60k miles on it. I've noticed every once in a while I get a loud rattling noise when I start it. The noise is loud, but goes away within a second every time. I did some searching and it seems that the the timing chain/tensioners seem to have issues on these cars, but in all the posts most people say the noise goes away above a certain RPM's or after warming up a bit.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:49 AM
igzekyativ
5th Gear
nvm, listened to your vid, dif then my issue

Old 06-02-2014, 11:53 AM
ttechris
2nd Gear
Thanks for the suggestion. Oil level is good, if anything just a bit high.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:54 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Use the search engine looking for 'death rattle' 'cold start' 'R56 timing chain' and a few other variations. This subject has been hashed over ad nauseum for the past 6 years. It's nothing new. It is but one of the charming characteristics of the Prince engine. It has some features contributed to it by Peugeot Citroën which might give you a clue.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:10 PM
ttechris
2nd Gear
I'll do some more research tonight... I read through a few threads, but it seemed that all had the noise go away once " warmed up" or above a certain RPM's. Mine does it for a split second, and isn't present at every start.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:45 AM
FCBo
Neutral
Did you ever get this resolved? Could it be the starter trying to disengage?

Old 07-05-2014, 08:17 AM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Just to reset your tone a bit: this isn't a small noise that you ignore because it goes away in a second. It's a symptom of a potentially major problem. Your timing chain will stretch, which introduces the risk of it jumping a cog tooth, taking the car out of correct timing. This is an "interference" engine, which means that having the timing off on your car can cause the valves to hit the pistons, causing very expensive damage.

In sum, get it looked at by a qualified MINI mechanic. They can measure the slack of the chain. If it's not too far out of spec, they can put in a new tensioner that will help the problem. Many people think it's temporary help, though I haven't heard too many stories, and mostly a lot of speculation on that. If your chain is already stretched significantly out of spec, then it will need to be replaced. An independent mechanic might charge in the area of $1500 for the work. The parts aren't expensive, but it's a laborious procedure, so you pay for a lot of hours. A dealership will charge more.

In this case, it's worth locating a local mechanic with MINI experience. There are special tools required that most mechanics won't have (and you don't want to pay them to buy).

Good luck with it. The cars are a blast to drive, but have some known problems (in fairness, all cars do, and their owners are always frustrated by them). The common ones are the timing chain, the high pressure fuel pump, the turbo oil feed, and the aux water pump. Have your guy look at all of them while you're having the timing chain looked at.

Otherwise, go find some open twisties and remind yourself why you bought this thing in the first place.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:30 PM
ttechris
2nd Gear
I will be doing the timing chain/related parts in the near future. It already has the newest chain tensioner available. I pulled off the valve cover to make sure all the rails looked intact(they did.) I also tried the longer tensioner for a couple cold starts, but the noise was still there. What is weird to me is that sometimes I don't hear the noise for a few days, then it randomly comes back. I would think if the chain was stretched I would hear the noise at every cold start?

Old 07-05-2014, 04:13 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Don't know much about it, but FWIW it sounds to me like the starter motor spooling down. But worth getting a mechanic to check it out. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:17 AM
rigga
1st Gear
Or its the first regulation cycle of the oil pump, that gives a short sharp shrill noise which can sound like a rattle.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:57 AM
ttechris
2nd Gear
I changed the timing chain/related components and the noise is still there from time to time. My MPG went up slightly(Could be the weather), but car sounds exactly the same.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:18 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ttechris
I changed the timing chain/related components and the noise is still there from time to time. My MPG went up slightly(Could be the weather), but car sounds exactly the same.
I think your oil channels a clogged with hard dirty oil deposits, it's this reason why I believe some members that have had their timing chain assembly replaced 3-4 times. Your best bet is to clean the oil channels with BG Engine Performance Restoration, this stuff will surprise you by how much hard black carbon is baked inside these N14 engines. This stuff will liquefy all the carbon baked into your oil feed line for turbo and all the oil channels throughout your engine.

When I did mine there's dirty oil and then there's black marble swirls in the oil that are truly black.

Last edited by Systemlord; 12-25-2014 at 02:49 PM.