Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

How to take off coolant water pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 04:11 PM
AbsoluteAuto
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to take off coolant water pipe

Hi

Just had the engine rebuild done, and discovered a small leak on the water pump to thermostat coolant pipe

question is how do i take the pipe off to inspect/replace??tried pulling very hard but did not work

the part is this http://mini.sewellparts.com/oem-cata...SLCI-2012.html

Old 06-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by AbsoluteAuto
Hi

Just had the engine rebuild done, and discovered a small leak on the water pump to thermostat coolant pipe

question is how do i take the pipe off to inspect/replace??tried pulling very hard but did not work

the part is this http://mini.sewellparts.com/oem-cata...SLCI-2012.html
If it wasn't leaking before your rebuild you should return it to them and see if they will fix it. I think you'll have to remove the water pump and thermostat housing, not 100% sure.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:59 AM
AbsoluteAuto
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the rebuild myself with the Bentley service manual, it states how to take off the water pump and thermostat but not how to take off this particular pipe

Old 06-05-2014, 12:03 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AbsoluteAuto
I did the rebuild myself with the Bentley service manual, it states how to take off the water pump and thermostat but not how to take off this particular pipe
At what end does it leak?

There is a clip on the back end of the pipe on the thermostat end. Unclip it, remove the thermostat (requires removal of a bunch of coolant hoses as well as freeing one end of the plastic pipe), then pull out the pipe off the water pump. It's wedged in there tight, but will come out. Replace the gaskets before reinstalling.

Clearance are tight with the engine in place, but once the thermostat comes out you should also replace it as a preventative measure. Hopefully it leaked on the thermostat end, so you can leave the water pump side alone.

a