Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

No Start after clutch replacement et al

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:15 AM
thatchmo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Start after clutch replacement et al

Hi all,

I am nearing the end of a long overhaul on my 2003 MCS that I've been doing in my friend's garage - new clutch, new engine seals (front and rear main, crank position sensor, oil pan), supercharger oil refill, supercharger pulley, water pump and o-ring, crank pulley, front control arm bushings, new front ball joints, new front wheel hub, new tie rods, short shifter, 6-switch toggle bank, new rust-free trunk lid.

I finally was nearing the end of reassembly a couple nights ago and went to start it in order to complete a coolant flush. All lights came on as normal, but there was no crank when I turned the key to the start position. I had the battery on a trickle charger until a few weeks ago, and it shows a constant 12.2V, though I have had some issues with it previously. I have a Scangauge, and the voltage didn't drop at all when I turned the key to start.

Some more info that I've come up with in my searches:
  • I can hear the switch for the clutch pedal click on and off when I depress and release the pedal with the key in the ON position, so I don't think that is the issue.
  • When I bought the car, the air filter was filthy - had probably never been changed. When I removed the filter housing, I began to wash it out before realizing that the housing area is not sealed from the ECU area - doh! However, I removed the ECU and opened it up a couple nights ago - nice and clean, no signs of rust or water damage. It seems like that seal was nice and tight. But, maybe I still ruined it?
  • When I reinstalled the starter, I noticed that the copper line from the solenoid to the starter is quite corroded on the outside. Also, when I tightened the wire connections to the solenoid, the solenoid twisted a bit in the housing, stressing that wire even more. I have the starter removed again now and am probably going to try replacing that with the cheap version from Advance. I can't hear the solenoid click when I turn the key to start, so I'm guessing this is the culprit if the computer is giving the signal.
  • Many of the dash lights come on and stay on when I turn the key to the ON position (two clicks). The only one that goes out is the red engine temp one, and perhaps one other. However, the DSC, EML, Service engine soon, brake, etc. all stay on. I have the NAV system, so all the lights are up top at the steering wheel. I found a video online of a dash at startup where they pause a bit in that second position, and it seems as if there are no fewer warning lights on there.
Any thoughts on what might be the problem or what else I should check?

I really appreciate all the help I've received by searching on NAM, and purchasing parts from members - it's been a HUGE help! I am incredibly excited to get back into my mini after so much time away, and my friend would also appreciate having her garage bay back...

Thanks for any tips you can provide!

Old 07-01-2014, 09:10 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm thinking that it could be a solenoid issue as well, when I did my clutch I just made sure that all of the wires were in the same position as before because electrical stuff and me don't mix lol. I hope that you can get to the root of your problem, is nice to see that you did as much as possible while in there.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:05 PM
thatchmo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, it was indeed the starter - not sure whether it was the solenoid or the starter itself, but I suspect the solenoid. Had Advance bench test it and nothing happened. So, we'll see how their cheap version (only $108 plus tax) fares in the long run. Car almost assembled and one of two coolant flushes complete. Can't wait to get it back on the road!!!