Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

leaking turbo oil line

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 06:50 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe3
what tool do you use to get the lower heatshield 10mm screws out?, I got the 2 drivers side screws out. the top one fell onto something. hopefully I can find it once the shield and downpipe are out. the 2 passenger side screws I'm not sure how to get out. its pretty tight in there. would I need a 1/4" ratchet? or maybe a long wrench? any extensions recommendations? that top screw's area that I lost was almost impossible to see, any tips for getting it back in? the top heatshield I didn't have trouble removing. those bottom screws were easy to get to from the bottom.
I use an inspection mirror and a universal joint on a hand driver with the 10mm socket. It gets easier the more you do it.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:36 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,092 Likes on 1,866 Posts
Swivel joint and short 10mm socket worked for me, If you have a stubby , short ratchet it helps with the room and hitting things. Like have the size of a normal ratchet. That's for the bottom, for the top I used a small minute wrench with a 10mm box end.

Take your time s you don't bang up your hands, that heat shield metal is shap on the sides.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-29-2014, 07:55 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I used a 1/4" drive ratchet. My hands are too big to get the bolts on the front, near the radiator, started when reassembling, but my wife was able to get the bolts started for me.

Dave

Old 07-29-2014, 08:47 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
the 1/4" ratchet ended up working. got the down pipe out, didn't have to remove the studs. not sure how people even remove them. I just have the turbo support bracket heatshield to go. looks like thats held on with the turbo bracket bolt and one other screw?

this is a stupid question. but after I get the line on. can I start the car and rev it a few times to check for leaks without the down pipe and heatshields on? or is this risky?

also, the down pipe to exhaust connection had a metal washer thing with a bunch of bent tabs on it, can I just straighten out the tabs and reuse?

lastly, noticed the turbo to down pipe gasket was 2 half pieces, where as the one I ordered from DT is just one piece.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:26 AM
breall
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
200+ miles after installing the replaced turbo oil line, The Toby is running like a champ again with no oil loss issues. I'm glad I now know how to put my car into service mode, but I don't hope to do it again any time soon.
(Gabe, I did not have any success getting the lower heat shield off without putting the car into service mode.)

Old 07-30-2014, 11:59 AM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
the 1/4" ratchet ended up working. got the down pipe out, didn't have to remove the studs. not sure how people even remove them. I just have the turbo support bracket heatshield to go. looks like thats held on with the turbo bracket bolt and one other screw?

this is a stupid question. but after I get the line on. can I start the car and rev it a few times to check for leaks without the down pipe and heatshields on? or is this risky?

also, the down pipe to exhaust connection had a metal washer thing with a bunch of bent tabs on it, can I just straighten out the tabs and reuse?

lastly, noticed the turbo to down pipe gasket was 2 half pieces, where as the one I ordered from DT is just one piece.
You can't detect a leak that way unless maybe you've only screwed the line on halfway. It'll be LOUD!!!

Old 07-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
I got the feed line off today. heres some photos of the area, wanted to know if you guys see any issues. thanks

http://imgur.com/a/Izll1

you can click on each image to make it big. the fresh liquid on that silver layered looking block, I think the oil cooler. is pb blaster.

Last edited by Gabe3; 07-30-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:09 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the feed line off today. heres some photos of the area, wanted to know if you guys see any issues. thanks

http://imgur.com/a/Izll1

you can click on each image to make it big. the fresh liquid on that silver layered looking block, I think the oil cooler. is pb blaster.
Are you also replacing the return line? Looks like it is leaking as well.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:31 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
You don't want to start it with out the down pipe on..one is that the O2 sensor will not be plugged in and reading so its going to give you a SES light, the other thing is it starts to warm up right away...and if you want to start to put it back together right way...it's going to be very hot. to touch and work around.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:23 PM
JaysCoop07
1st Gear
I'm replacing my leaking lines this weekend with the Detroit line and return line.
is there any tips, tricks or things i should know to get it done fast/easy than usual?

BTW Thanks TJ for the koozie and bottle opener.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:06 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Are you also replacing the return line? Looks like it is leaking as well.
yes I'm replacing it, although I think its oil from the feed line thats on it. I've heard the return lines go bad shortly after the feed line. why no aftermarket return line then? I noticed the rubber seemed kinda hard, so guess its going to go bad soon maybe.

Originally Posted by Detroit Tuned
You don't want to start it with out the down pipe on..one is that the O2 sensor will not be plugged in and reading so its going to give you a SES light, the other thing is it starts to warm up right away...and if you want to start to put it back together right way...it's going to be very hot. to touch and work around.
so should I put it back 100% together? also about the fitting ends on the feed line. how do I know how tight? someone mentioned they tightened them till they started to turn, is this too tight? also, since they are compression fittings, once they are tightened and then loosened for whatever reason, is the line no longer good?

Originally Posted by JaysCoop07
I'm replacing my leaking lines this weekend with the Detroit line and return line.
is there any tips, tricks or things i should know to get it done fast/easy than usual?

BTW Thanks TJ for the koozie and bottle opener.
I didn't need to go into service mode like some people, at least to get anything out. I havn't started reassembling yet.

another thing. the top o2 sensor I got out pretty easily, but thats before I thought about finding where its plugged into. the bottom sensor, I spent a couple minutes on that. mine was just on too tight. its common for that one to be super tight. you can follow the wire up and unplug it. I was able to snake my arm through behind the coolant tank with a flat head and pry the red cap out. that releases it. but that side of the plug is attached to the car with a clip/mount, I couldn't get it off so I had to break it, nothing a zip tie can't fix.

I got this about the o2 connectors from another forum in case you want to unplug them.

the upper one is a tab on the side that you push in while pulling out the plug, the lower one has a red cap that you pull out to release the plug.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
I'm the one who tightened until the fitting wanted to turn. I had a defective line and before I knew the line was defective I tried 'fixing' the continuing oil leak by tightening the fittings.

Detroit Tuned sent me a replacement for the defective part free of charge and I no longer have a leak. At least... it's been a week and I am no longer offended by the smell of oil burning on my downpipe.

Do NOT tighten until your fittings want to turn. That is not necessary.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ian Landesman
I'm the one who tightened until the fitting wanted to turn. I had a defective line and before I knew the line was defective I tried 'fixing' the continuing oil leak by tightening the fittings.

Detroit Tuned sent me a replacement for the defective part free of charge and I no longer have a leak. At least... it's been a week and I am no longer offended by the smell of oil burning on my downpipe.

Do NOT tighten until your fittings want to turn. That is not necessary.
ok, thanks. bummer about your line.

do you know if the line is suppose to go to the right of this small heat shield? the oem one did, to protect it from the exhaust I'm guessing. however to get the DT line to go to the right would require like a 90 degree bend in the line, I don't know if I should try bending it that much. if its not protected by that heatshield I'm afraid the oil could cook.

edit: I got it to the right of that shield but its below the return hose...?

Attached Thumbnails leaking turbo oil line-2014-08-02-16.04.30.jpg  

Last edited by Gabe3; 08-02-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
It definitely... DEFINITELY needs to be to the right of that heatshield. The exhaust manifold hear night MELT your line. It's made of plastic under that stainless steel braid, you know.

Try keeping the fittings loose until it's where you want it to be. Detroit Tuned's online installation guide had a helpful picture to show the path.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Take a picture for us? I don't know what you mean exactly.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Take a picture for us? I don't know what you mean exactly.
thanks. I didn't know it was made of plastic. in this picture the line is going under the return hose. the oem line went above it. I think its touching the oil cooler and the bottom of the return hose the way its routed in the photo.

edit: i may be wrong about the oem line going above the return hose. do you know? i think it goes either between the oil cooler and engine or oil cooler and return hose?

edit2: think I figured it out.

wondering if I should put anti seize on the 3 turbo to downpipe bolts. is 29.5 ft. lbs. torque correct for those 3 bolts? seems like a lot. a guide I read said 14.7 ft. getting the lower end of the line to not move into the return hose while tightening the fitting was tough. hope I got it tight enough. its touching the return hose's silver heat shielding cause I couldn't keep it close to the engine while tightening.

Attached Thumbnails leaking turbo oil line-p1050188.jpg  

Last edited by Gabe3; 08-03-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
looking for this photo?

Attached Thumbnails leaking turbo oil line-20131116_143333.jpg  

Old 08-05-2014, 06:30 AM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
It' been several hundred miles, over a week, and my downpipe is BONE DRY! Thank GOD! Been fighting this oil leak with zero success for over six months and now it's fixed. Now for it to be delegated to long term memory and eventually forgotten. =)

Old 08-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
It' been several hundred miles, over a week, and my downpipe is BONE DRY! Thank GOD! Been fighting this oil leak with zero success for over six months and now it's fixed. Now for it to be delegated to long term memory and eventually forgotten. =)
thats good. I finished up today. so far so good. just some smoke from the pb blaster and anti seize probably. were you able to get your line in so it wasn't touching the bottom edge of that exhaust heatshield? mine is touching it and the oil cooler, as well as the engine, I attached a photo of it touching. seems like they could have bent it a lot more.

I was also able to reinstall everything without service mode with no fuss. the top heatshield was a little tricky to get back in place. but removing the oil dipstick tube helped.

Attached Thumbnails leaking turbo oil line-2014-08-05-17.00.10.jpg  
Old 08-07-2014, 03:19 PM
JVitto
1st Gear
How long can a oil leak on the turbo go b4 it messes something up. I can't tell if mine was from an earlier leak or a leak happing now, I don't have an extra 1800 sitting around

Old 08-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JVitto
How long can a oil leak on the turbo go b4 it messes something up. I can't tell if mine was from an earlier leak or a leak happing now, I don't have an extra 1800 sitting around
well I bought my car with 57k and it was wet on the turbo. and just replaced my line at 63k. not sure how much longer it would hold up for. don't push the line in or out. it will just loosen up the o-ring's seal.

$1800 is too much for this job. you could probably get it done for around $500-600 from an independent. i think the dealer wanted $1000.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:41 PM
ncorpuz34
2nd Gear
http://www.harborfreight.com/http-ww...4432-html.html + extension / deep socket

Worked great for this lower heat shield bolts. I would say it cut my installation / reassembly time in half.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
thats good. I finished up today. so far so good. just some smoke from the pb blaster and anti seize probably. were you able to get your line in so it wasn't touching the bottom edge of that exhaust heatshield? mine is touching it and the oil cooler, as well as the engine, I attached a photo of it touching. seems like they could have bent it a lot more.

I was also able to reinstall everything without service mode with no fuss. the top heatshield was a little tricky to get back in place. but removing the oil dipstick tube helped.
My line does not touch the engine block. You can loosen the top fitting, turn it until it doesn't touch, re-tighten. =)

Old 08-08-2014, 05:04 AM
JVitto
1st Gear
well I bought my car with 57k and it was wet on the turbo. and just replaced my line at 63k. not sure how much longer it would hold up for. don't push the line in or out. it will just loosen up the o-ring's seal.

$1800 is too much for this job. you could probably get it done for around $500-600 from an independent. i think the dealer wanted $1000.
I'm sry I was just throwing out a number on what I thought a complete turbo job would be around here

Old 04-23-2017, 05:01 PM
BeardedForever
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what happened with this leak? I too have the same problem. I've previously replaced my oil feed line with a Detroit tuned line. I don't see where the leak could be coming from except inside the bell housing.

Quick Reply: leaking turbo oil line