Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

N18 Camshaft Problem? Code P1339

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014 | 03:42 AM
preme123
|
3rd Gear

Hi! my car (Cooper S N18) threw the CEL this morning with an alarming knocking/rattling noise that increases as the revs go up. However, as the revs go above 2000rpm, the rattling/knocking noise goes away. Even if the car is warm the knocking/rattling still persists, even at idle...which has never happened before. Certainly not normal. oh and also starting the car up is really hard, it cranks and cranks before finally starting up.

Can this be a timing chain tensioner problem?

I've done my search and havent found much other than this

P1339 - Camshaft Position Sensor Rationality Check (Inlet - Outlet)
P1339 - Exhaust Camshaft: Angular offset to crankshaft is outside tolerance range

What's wrong with my car? Thanks

Last edited by preme123; 09-07-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-07-2014 | 09:47 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Sounds like it's jumped time. I would have it towed to your mechanic, and be prepared to write a big check.

If the car is still under warranty, have Motoring Assistance drag it to your dealer.

Old 09-07-2014 | 10:41 AM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Please check the oil in your engine. Too often overlooked!

Old 06-13-2016 | 07:25 AM
EliasBruce Minaise
1st Gear
I've been experiencing the same issue with error code P1339.
I don't have a BMW scan tool so I only know the generic error code meaning : "Crankshaft Pos./Engine Speed Sensor Cross Connected".

Is it even possible that the ESS is cross connected? I had an issue with the HPFP in the past and replaced it along with ALL coil packs and plugs (6months ago). This error message was coming up during that time as well and still seems to come up randomly. An engine restart seems to reset it and clears engine "limp mode", but a cold start seems to trigger the error code and put the engine into reduced power again. I am not noticing a lack of power or rough idle, so there really aren't any noticeable symptoms as far as I can tell.

Any thoughts on how to look further into this issue?
Thanks!

Old 06-13-2016 | 07:47 AM
preme123
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by EliasBruce Minaise
I've been experiencing the same issue with error code P1339.
I don't have a BMW scan tool so I only know the generic error code meaning : "Crankshaft Pos./Engine Speed Sensor Cross Connected".

Is it even possible that the ESS is cross connected? I had an issue with the HPFP in the past and replaced it along with ALL coil packs and plugs (6months ago). This error message was coming up during that time as well and still seems to come up randomly. An engine restart seems to reset it and clears engine "limp mode", but a cold start seems to trigger the error code and put the engine into reduced power again. I am not noticing a lack of power or rough idle, so there really aren't any noticeable symptoms as far as I can tell.

Any thoughts on how to look further into this issue?
Thanks!

how many miles have you got on the odo? For me, I had 80,000miles on the clock. I believe it was the replacement of engine suspension mounts and transmission suspension mounts that solved the code for me. You should look into that and also the battery/alternators. Best of luck to you!

I also replaced the high pressure fuel pump, the aux fuel pump, ignition coils, spark plugs, all the intake/intercooler hoses to forge silicone pipes, water pump, alternator, battery. But I believe it was the engine/transmission suspension mount that did the magic.

Old 06-13-2016 | 08:00 AM
EliasBruce Minaise
1st Gear
I have 65k on the OD. Thanks for the info. Any ideas why the mounts would cause a timing error? How much were the engine mounts and how easy are they to get to? I repaced the battery after the HPFP as well as the intake hoses. I do have a slight "rattle" noise on acceleration sometimes and someone told me it might be an engine mount. I'm not sure where they are located.

Old 07-09-2016 | 09:09 AM
preme123
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by EliasBruce Minaise
I have 65k on the OD. Thanks for the info. Any ideas why the mounts would cause a timing error? How much were the engine mounts and how easy are they to get to? I repaced the battery after the HPFP as well as the intake hoses. I do have a slight "rattle" noise on acceleration sometimes and someone told me it might be an engine mount. I'm not sure where they are located.
I think you should take it to the dealer. I don't think it's an easy or diy job. How is your car doing now?