Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

cold start issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 12:50 AM
newbie77
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold start issue

Hi guys - hope you can help me out here please?

2005 MCS - for the past month or so I've had this problem with cold starting. It sounds and feels like it is starting on 3 cylinders. If I let it run, sometimes it will sort itself out and run fine, sometimes it will seem ok, I'll reverse off the drive and then I'll get the engine light and ASC light come on. If I then switch the engine off and back on 99% of the time it will be ok. Other times it won't clear from start up and both lights will come on (engine light flashing) meaning I turn it off, back on and 90% of the time it is ok, although the engine light will stay on for the next few start ups. I've got a set of Magnacoil leads on it that are only a year old, so I hope it isn't them. I've changed the plugs and the coil as there was some rust on the terminals. None of that has worked. I took it on for an MOT a couple of weeks ago and asked the mechanic to clear the faults and tell me what it was - he said it was a fuel problem on cylinder 1. I've only ever run it on Shell Optimax/Ultimate.
Sometimes it doesn't do it at all and I can't see a common link to why.

Other odd thing - while it is stuttering and not firing properly, the radio display is dimmed, then as it clears the display brightens.

Battery on it's way out??

Anyone got any ideas?

Old 10-06-2014, 10:23 AM
kurschat
1st Gear
There is a sticky on this... about a gazillion pages long with no real answer. However, try this.....

Before starting your car, turn key all the way except to cranking position. Wait a minute and listen to hear your fuel pump activating. (You gotta have fans, radio, ect. turned off)

Then turn key all the way and see if it starts and runs fabulously....... If this prevents your start / stumble issue, then (IN MY OPINION) you will be needed a fuel pump soon. You should change it before you get stranded.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:37 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Get a odb2 reader...about $45
Without the codes...nothing but guesses.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:27 AM
newbie77
1st Gear
Thanks for the suggestion kurschat. As it happens I always wait for the fuel pump to prime and engine check lights to do their thing as a matter of course - always thought it was a bit unfair on the engine to do otherwise :-)
I did try just firing it straight up though as a matter of interest and the same thing happens.
What I have noticed though is that once it does clear itself and start running ok there is a very strong smell of petrol for a few seconds.
I changed the battery at the weekend as the one in there must have been at least 4 years old and it has made no difference at all.
As far as the engine code goes - yes - i should get an ODB2 reader and I will :-) What I do know right now though is that it is calling up a misfire on cylinder 1 error - just not sure exactly what code it was though - but it will narrow it down to just a few I think?

Old 10-09-2014, 02:35 PM
kurschat
1st Gear
Originally Posted by newbie77
Thanks for the suggestion kurschat. As it happens I always wait for the fuel pump to prime and engine check lights to do their thing as a matter of course - always thought it was a bit unfair on the engine to do otherwise :-)
I did try just firing it straight up though as a matter of interest and the same thing happens.
What I have noticed though is that once it does clear itself and start running ok there is a very strong smell of petrol for a few seconds.
I changed the battery at the weekend as the one in there must have been at least 4 years old and it has made no difference at all.
As far as the engine code goes - yes - i should get an ODB2 reader and I will :-) What I do know right now though is that it is calling up a misfire on cylinder 1 error - just not sure exactly what code it was though - but it will narrow it down to just a few I think?

OK. If you feel your fuel pump is working wonderfully. I would also recommend that you check your coil pack connectors for corrosion. Just another thing that could potentially affect it.

Just tryin to help ya. I been there.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:37 PM
kurschat
1st Gear
Oops.... I just saw that you seem to have checked coil pack.... sorry.