Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior light short

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 05:43 PM
qolor
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Interior light short

05 R53

tl;dr short circuited foot well light, killed map light + foot well + top center light, wont come back on even with new bulbs. need help.

Kind of embarrassing to admit. I was messing with my interior lights. I swapped them all, all of them worked fantastic, but I was attempting to make my own reflector in a way using aluminum foil tape. I forgot that it was conductive and when I went to plug it in, it shorted out. It was in the foot well. Most of the lights burned out at this point.

Both of the "map" lights, all of the lights in the top, and both foot well lights (obviously) and they wont come back on. Obviously burnt the bulbs, but even with new bulbs they don't come back on. Surely someone has had this problem before, right?

I am looking for a solution. Does anyone have any ideas? I have removed the home made reflectors (which worked very well for the 5 seconds I had it on before it shorted...)

Thanks everyone.