Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Pros and cons of an automatic transmission in a Mini

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 01:28 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Red
I will be draining and refilling mine when it hits 50K, and then every 2 years after that.
While this is certainly better than doing nothing, do note that drain/filling will usually only get about 2.5 (of 6) quarts out. If doing nothing gets you to 80k, will changing only a third of the fluid past the 'halfway' point be enough? Will you be replacing with full synthetic?

Old 03-15-2015, 02:47 PM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by yesti
While this is certainly better than doing nothing, do note that drain/filling will usually only get about 2.5 (of 6) quarts out. If doing nothing gets you to 80k, will changing only a third of the fluid past the 'halfway' point be enough? Will you be replacing with full synthetic?
I am fully aware that a drain and refill does not get much fluid out. So much fluid is in the Torque Converter that you would need to either do a true flush via a filling machine as a complete service, or perform the simple pan drain and refill multiple times to ensure a complete exchange.
However, doing nothing also ensures its own problems, so, since I can drain and refill the trans myself with no special equipment needed, it's an easy enough way to help extend the life of the AW trans in my Clubman.
2nd- Change to Synthetic. NO. I have been in contact with ZF and other trans reps over the years. They are generally in total agreement that you stick with whatever fluid the clutch/friction disc first absorbed when filled at build time.
So, since the AW fluid appears to be conventional ATF, I will stick with it and change it more often than I would have considered with Syn. ATF.
3rd- Zero plans to track or Autocross my S, if I did, then I would be changing the fluid far more often.
4th, off topic by way of apples to apples Vehicles, I drained and added 2 qts from my previous 1992 Montero every 6-8 months for 13 years. It was still going strong at 260,xxx miles when I got rid of it, and I bought it used with 152,xxx on it . Simpler auto trans from B-W I think, but I only used the Diamond SP-3 ATF fluid from the factory to keep it shifting right all those years.
It was always the guys who changed out to non- factory fluid who blew or lost clutch packs since they were SURE that synthetic fluid would work better for them.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:23 PM
yesti
5th Gear
I am fully aware that a drain and refill does not get much fluid out. So much fluid is in the Torque Converter that you would need to either do a true flush via a filling machine as a complete service, or perform the simple pan drain and refill multiple times to ensure a complete exchange.
However, doing nothing also ensures its own problems, so, since I can drain and refill the trans myself with no special equipment needed, it's an easy enough way to help extend the life of the AW trans in my Clubman.
2nd- Change to Synthetic. NO. I have been in contact with ZF and other trans reps over the years. They are generally in total agreement that you stick with whatever fluid the clutch/friction disc first absorbed when filled at build time.
So, since the AW fluid appears to be conventional ATF, I will stick with it and change it more often than I would have considered with Syn. ATF.
3rd- Zero plans to track or Autocross my S, if I did, then I would be changing the fluid far more often.
4th, off topic by way of apples to apples Vehicles, I drained and added 2 qts from my previous 1992 Montero every 6-8 months for 13 years. It was still going strong at 260,xxx miles when I got rid of it, and I bought it used with 152,xxx on it . Simpler auto trans from B-W I think, but I only used the Diamond SP-3 ATF fluid from the factory to keep it shifting right all those years.
It was always the guys who changed out to non- factory fluid who blew or lost clutch packs since they were SURE that synthetic fluid would work better for them.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate your insight!

Old 03-15-2015, 04:16 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Were these vehicles used as daily drivers or subjected to more extreme conditons? I found a post from another member that changed their ATF at 17k with synthetic and ran it till 70k with no problems. I know this is just one example but it's a success story.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3828197

Old 03-16-2015, 06:58 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Were these vehicles used as daily drivers or subjected to more extreme conditons? I found a post from another member that changed their ATF at 17k with synthetic and ran it till 70k with no problems. I know this is just one example but it's a success story.

From what their owners posted, it runs the range of some just being a daily drivers, to some off-roading, or hard core off-roading. again, with a VERY different vehicle, trans, cooling set-up etc, not a fair comparision to owning a MINI with the 6-speed AW.
Back to MINI's. If I had a long term test mule to try out various aftermarket ATF fluids, and money to fix anything that might go wrong from a different fluid being in the transmission, I'd risk it. But I don't. Just have my daily driver, and will keep that portion of it stock.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:00 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The auto costs significantly more on a MINI and on gen 2's were slower. On the BMWs I've looked at an auto costs the same as a manual and is faster.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:15 AM
GregO
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
automatic

Some earlier posters mentioned paddles differing in their function. The ones I had tried had left and right paddles where to up/down shift, either side would be push/pull.

Greg

Old 03-16-2015, 02:45 PM
fozzy
2nd Gear
The new generation has downshift on one side and up shift on the other. On the first gens it was pull to up shift and push to downshift. Both sides did the same thing.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:04 PM
The Patagonian
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
The auto costs significantly more on a MINI and on gen 2's were slower. On the BMWs I've looked at an auto costs the same as a manual and is faster.
But are manuals quicker on the road? The professional test drivers will go thru a number of gearboxes/clutches to get that all important 0-60.
An auto can probably get close to its published time most of the time.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:17 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At 110k km over three weeks I drained and refilled 8 ltrs of atf replacing it with a full synthetic now at 138k(not much I know but I'm stage3 tuned)I guess time will tell), if it goes bang I'll let you know

Old 03-17-2015, 02:04 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by The Patagonian
But are manuals quicker on the road? The professional test drivers will go thru a number of gearboxes/clutches to get that all important 0-60.
An auto can probably get close to its published time most of the time.
The manuals are quite a bit quicker for gen2 normally aspirated Coopers.
Convertible 8.7 vs 10.0
Coupe 8.3 vs 9.5
Roadster 8.7 vs 10.0
Countryman 9.8 vs 10.9

Old 03-17-2015, 02:22 AM
deovolens
3rd Gear
a test driver can perform in that way, not an average driver.A test driver doesn't have to pay for a new clutch after 1000 miles.
An average US driver will lose against an automatic.
The new F56 in auto will crush the manual

Old 03-17-2015, 06:39 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Is it just me- or did we scare the OP away?

Pizza Boy has not been seen since their posted started this whole thing......

Old 03-17-2015, 03:33 PM
The Patagonian
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
The manuals are quite a bit quicker for gen2 normally aspirated Coopers.
Convertible 8.7 vs 10.0
Coupe 8.3 vs 9.5
Roadster 8.7 vs 10.0
Countryman 9.8 vs 10.9
Agreed but for the S it's 6.7/6.9 according to a UK magazine and I reckon you could easily lose 0.2 secs on a not quite perfect gear change.