Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

'06 MCSa transmission woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 10:10 AM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Aspen
You are delusional. This tranny is notorious for failing as early as 30k miles in every vehicle it is put in. That is well before a normal fluid change interval. It fails in VWs so much they extended the warranty so they wouldn't get sued.
30k is early. What percentage would you say it fails at that mileage? Did any of those people drain fill every 10k? If the VW application has a dipstick there is no excuse for not doing it.

I'm at 21k now so I'll post if mine fails in the next 10k. (Knock on wood)

Old 04-10-2015, 10:51 AM
Aspen
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't know the % failure. I just know from reading trade articles and seeing giant threads on here and the VW site.
A normal service interval for tranny fluid is 60k miles or 96K KM for just about every vehicle except BMW and their "lifetime" BS. However, changing very often for this unit is likely a good idea. Go ahead and do it every 30k miles, as long as you do the procedure properly it can't hurt. 10k miles seems excessive and wasteful.
The main problem is in the VB design. It wears prematurely and the solenoids are pretty crappy too. Frequent fluid changes may postpone the inevitable.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2006 MCS r53 with 126k as of yesterday I have never changed the transmission fluid..is this something I should do now? Its an automatic..

Old 04-10-2015, 01:58 PM
Aspen
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
I have a 2006 MCS r53 with 126k as of yesterday I have never changed the transmission fluid..is this something I should do now? Its an automatic..
Maybe not. Changing very old fluid may cause gunk to break loose and clog passages. Some tranny folks don't recommend it. You are living on borrowed time though. If it were me, i'd sell it. As a matter of fact, I will likely sell mine this summer because I have the auto trans and I would rather this be somebody else's problem.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:35 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Wow, that is incredible. So the tranny will last anywhere from 30k-126k with no fluid changes.

As I detailed in post #18 of this thread, the tranny lives a hard life. It's tiny, undercooled and has to put up with 200+hp/tq.

I'm interested in seeing how the 9-speed unit, that mini will hopefully get in the next year or two, holds up compared to this one long term since it packs 3 more speeds in the same space--something's gotta give.

I'm going to change my 2.5 qts of fluid every 10k. It's not expensive or difficult and hopefully I can get to 126k someday with no issues.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:05 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Maybe not. Changing very old fluid may cause gunk to break loose and clog passages. Some tranny folks don't recommend it. You are living on borrowed time though. If it were me, i'd sell it. As a matter of fact, I will likely sell mine this summer because I have the auto trans and I would rather this be somebody else's problem.
Why would I sell a car that is working perfectly fine with no issues. I have only heard of a few 2006 MCS with the tranny issues and mine i showing no signs..I would think changing the fluid might be a good idea.. what is everyone elses throughts? I know people with auto r53s on here that have over 250k and they didnt sell ??? what gives

Old 04-10-2015, 03:27 PM
fozzy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take it from me. A transmission is a huge expense. I just had mine replaced at the tune of $9500. Something I would not wish on anyone. Mine started flaring between 2nd and 3rd gears... Only have had my car for 6 months and 4200 miles. 1 of those months it was in the shop. .

Old 04-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Aspen
4th Gear
There are dozens of people on here with dead auto transmissions on R53s, and I have seen people advertising dead cars on autotrader and kijiji. There is a trade mag that ran articles on multiple problems with the 09G trans. There are at least 3 rebuilding places that do VB rebuilds and keep these ones in stock. It costs a fortune to replace a bad tranny with about 12 hours labour, much more than an R53 is worth, like paying for the car twice. Once it goes your car is essentially worthless.
The choice is to sell and get value now or drive it until it dies. Neither is a good or bad choice it depends on your preferences.

With 126k miles, your car is not worth much so might as well drive it if you like it.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:27 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
There are dozens of people on here with dead auto transmissions on R53s, and I have seen people advertising dead cars on autotrader and kijiji. There is a trade mag that ran articles on multiple problems with the 09G trans. There are at least 3 rebuilding places that do VB rebuilds and keep these ones in stock. It costs a fortune to replace a bad tranny with about 12 hours labour, much more than an R53 is worth, like paying for the car twice. Once it goes your car is essentially worthless.
The choice is to sell and get value now or drive it until it dies. Neither is a good or bad choice it depends on your preferences.

With 126k miles, your car is not worth much so might as well drive it if you like it.
I thought this trouble was with the CVT? Not the paddle shifting 6speed auto? And I love my car I was hoping it would last me until at least 250k

Old 04-11-2015, 06:23 AM
fozzy
2nd Gear
I hate to tell you this but any transmission that is not maintained is going to cost you. Mine did After 4200 miles of owning it. Still making payments on it, now have to make payments on the transmission job as well. 2006 MCSa with the aisin transmission.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:19 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fozzy
I hate to tell you this but any transmission that is not maintained is going to cost you. Mine did After 4200 miles of owning it. Still making payments on it, now have to make payments on the transmission job as well. 2006 MCSa with the aisin transmission.
Ok in your opinion what is well maintained? It has lasted 126k with no problems and most that have problems seem to have them around the 80-100k time frame. I am thinking I should flush and change the fluid soon?

Old 04-11-2015, 08:46 AM
fozzy
2nd Gear
From what other members have said our transmissions should be serviced every 30,000 miles or so. I know of a few that drain and fill every 10,000 and some that never have. In your case some would say change it, while others would argue against it. I would do a fluid and filter change if I was you.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:16 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
From what other members have said our transmissions should be serviced every 30,000 miles or so. I know of a few that drain and fill every 10,000 and some that never have. In your case some would say change it, while others would argue against it. I would do a fluid and filter change if I was you.
Yeah I am leaning more towards doing it. And continuing every 30k or so. I don't drive a lot of miles really. Do I have to drop subframe for this?

Old 04-12-2015, 09:49 AM
fozzy
2nd Gear
From what I have heard you don't.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:58 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
From what I have heard you don't.
Cool! Where did you order your filter and fluid from?

Old 04-12-2015, 10:54 AM
fozzy
2nd Gear
I am one of the unlucky ones that had to replace the transmission.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
I am one of the unlucky ones that had to replace the transmission.
Oh I am sorry to hear that. Do you change the fluid on the new one often?

Old 04-12-2015, 12:18 PM
fozzy
2nd Gear
Just got my car back last week. . But I will be doing a drain and fill often.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:04 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Just got my car back last week. . But I will be doing a drain and fill often.
Oh wow I didn't realize that. Well good luck with this new tranny. Is it again the same one from before?

Old 04-13-2015, 12:44 AM
fozzy
2nd Gear
It is a factory MINI rebuilt transmission. Used my old one for the $1250 core.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:45 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
It is a factory MINI rebuilt transmission. Used my old one for the $1250 core.
Nice! Well best wishes with this new one. Hope it treats you well

Old 04-13-2015, 05:04 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
For people reading this thread keep in mind how many people are posting that their transmissions have failed. There are a few guys on here on here who have recently rebuild their engines with bigger turbos and forged internals running big power and torque as well as those with remaps that have had zero problems myself included.

My advise is be proactive and replace the atf at regular intervals.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:39 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by scubbysnacks
For people reading this thread keep in mind how many people are posting that their transmissions have failed. There are a few guys on here on here who have recently rebuild their engines with bigger turbos and forged internals running big power and torque as well as those with remaps that have had zero problems myself included.

I am thinking there is alot more with NO problems then there are with problems but that doesn't change the fact that the ATF should be changed. I will be doing that for sure here soon!

BTW with all of your mods etc, what milage is on your still good tranny?

Old 04-14-2015, 02:02 AM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear

BTW with all of your mods etc, what milage is on your still good tranny?
I'm at 87k miles(140k km).

Old 04-14-2015, 07:40 AM
Aspen
4th Gear
Originally Posted by scubbysnacks

Are any of these folks doing builds on Gen 1 autos?
Also holding torque is not the issue, the problem is bad/soft valvebody and spinning sleeves. These are more related to wear due to number of shifts and maybe dirty fluid. Agreed clean fluid should prolong the life.

Quick Reply: '06 MCSa transmission woes