Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

10k miles, no free oil change

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 11:28 PM
SailAZ
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 10,350 miles on my MCS. I got my MINI in june and I drive about 120 miles a day to and from work. I love it! I changed the oil myself at about 4k miles and went to the dealer the other day to get the free regular scheduled oil change. I was told that my service indicator on the odometer still showed 1600 miles until the service was due, because I drive mostly freeway and not much stop and go I don't need to change my oil as often. I love my MINI, this is the 8th one I have owned in the last 25 years. I still have a 1961 Mk1 Mini that runs like a top because I take good care of it.
I feel very disapointed that the dealer didn't want to change my oil. I don't want to put another 1600 miles on the old oil before I change it, it is starting to get dark and I know it is not lubricating as good as fresh clean oil. If I have the dealer change it now they want $90, if I do it myself it won't need to be changed when the indicator says to and the dealer may give me greif on my warranty. I don't want to put excessive wear on a car I may keep for the next 20 years. I want to use it but I don't want to wear it out.
I don't like the policy on oil changes, If I had known about it before I would have changed it myself at 8k miles. :evil:

Old 11-07-2002, 07:54 AM
8ball
6th Gear
I, too have old Brit's that love clean oil, but if you did it at 4k and used a good synthetic, let it go another 1600. I'm assuming the 120 per day is mostly open road and not stop-and-start, so it should be able to take it.

Old 11-07-2002, 08:26 AM
SoopaCoopa
3rd Gear
I know that many people swear by the 3,000 mile oil change, but from all of the research I've done, I just can't see that it's actually necessary.

First of all, most manufacturers reccomend oil changes around every 6k-7k miles. Why would manufacturers like Honda, Toyota and Mercedes, who sell thousands of cars based solely on their reputation of reliability, do this? If changing the oil every 3k would extend the life of an Acura, don't you think they would reccomend it?

Also, I read a consumer reports article a few years ago that really opened my eyes. they went to a group of NY taxi cabs, tore down there engines, and measured all the parts. Then, they gave half of the group an oil change every 3k and the other half an oil change every 6k for a year. These cars were abused in the worst possible conditions for a year. Stop and go traffic, hard starts, and they ran 24hrs a day! At the end of the year they tore down the engines to measure them for wear. Surprisingly, there was no measurable difference between the two groups.

I think that if you follow your MINIs reccomendations you will not go wrong.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I've had this argument with a lot of other gearheads, so I'm used to backing up my argument with a lot of data :smile:

Old 11-07-2002, 08:37 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>If changing the oil every 3k would extend the life of an Acura, don't you think they would reccomend it?

Not really. They want to sell cars, not sell oil.

Regardless of my difference with you there, I tend to want to agree with you. The only thing I have a problem with is that, based on my research, the FILTER is the weak link. Sure the oils can withstand that time, but the filters break down too soon. There are some good filters out there, but I have no idea if the MINI filter is among them???

Old 11-07-2002, 09:58 AM
2minis
6th Gear
>>I feel very disapointed that the dealer didn't want to change my oil. I don't want to put another 1600 miles on the old oil before I change it, it is starting to get dark and I know it is not lubricating as good as fresh clean oil. If I have the dealer change it now they want $90, if I do it myself it won't need to be changed when the indicator says to and the dealer may give me greif on my warranty. I don't want to put excessive wear on a car I may keep for the next 20 years. I want to use it but I don't want to wear it out.
>>I don't like the policy on oil changes, If I had known about it before I would have changed it myself at 8k miles. :evil:

Old 11-07-2002, 10:50 AM
minimy
Neutral
Was corious, what is the oil capacity on the mini $90 seems a bit steep for an oil change even with the synthetic oil. i can do an non-dealer oil change on my boxster for about that and the oil pan holds 9 quarts!

Old 11-07-2002, 10:55 AM
SoopaCoopa
3rd Gear
>>>>If changing the oil every 3k would extend the life of an Acura, don't you think they would reccomend it?
>>
>>
>>Not really. They want to sell cars, not sell oil.

Exactly. And ask any Honda owner their top reason for buying their car and I'll bet they'll say "reliability, they run forever."

No one buys a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry because they're terribly good looking or exciting to drive, but they've been the best selling cars in America for years.

Old 11-07-2002, 11:19 AM
gosharks
4th Gear
All manufacturers that offer the "free maintanance" have you wait until the computer in your car says that the service is needed. I have went through this for my MB E320 and my BMW 323i. They simply will not service it any sooner than indicated. I would just drive the additional miles and forget about it, especially if you are driving a lot of freeway miles. I am planning to change the oil at 5k miles, and have the free oil change at 10k.

Old 11-07-2002, 11:42 AM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
gosharks - Not true, I had my 10k service done at 9,800 miles (the computer said I had about 2,000 miles before service). The service dept. didn't bring up either meter reading - they just did the service.

Old 11-07-2002, 12:00 PM
gosharks
4th Gear
That's a relief. I have gone through the oil change debate with two Mercedes dealers and two BMW dealers both not willing to do the service until needed. Could be just the local dealers here on the West Coast. We pay more for everything and get less! Imagine an airfilter for a car costing $175! A friends BMW 323i needing a new lower control arm for $1200. I am wondering if the MINI's brake pads will last longer than 25k miles. Both my MB and BMW needed changing. The BMW needed pads and rotors which costs $600 for all four! I have never seen pads wear out faster than these two cars.

Old 11-07-2002, 12:53 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
gosharks - I'm assuming, from your user name, that you are in the San Jose area?

Old 11-07-2002, 01:28 PM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
I am REALLY glad I read this thread....it's $90 to do the first oil change before 10K? I, too, was going to change the oil at 5K and then take the free one at 10K, but if it's $90 I might have to find an easier way.....

Old 11-07-2002, 01:46 PM
gosharks
4th Gear
>>gosharks - I'm assuming, from your user name, that you are in the San Jose area?

Yes I am. Sharks are off to a so-so start, but starting to play better now. I still don't see a lot of MINI's running around the Bay Area. The dealer recently organized a 50 car MINI rally along the coast and a stop for breakfast. Had business travel so I could not participate. I would have loved seeing 50 MINI's all heading up on Hwy 1!

Old 11-07-2002, 02:13 PM
mc.natt
1st Gear
>>I am REALLY glad I read this thread....it's $90 to do the first oil change before 10K? I, too, was going to change the oil at 5K and then take the free one at 10K, but if it's $90 I might have to find an easier way.....

Lauren, (and everyone...)

Just called about your car and this is what Mini of Towson said:

"An oil change using the Castrol Synthetic is $65, which most customers opt for at 5k rather than 10k. The 10k is an oil SERVICE which is different, and more expensive. (he didn't say what the difference was.) The wording is slightly different, but make sure you say oil change rather than service, or you might get charged more"

Which I thought was nice and honest...$65 is still high, but it IS a BMW dealership...so that's the way that goes....

The only thing I can say about the oil "countdown to service" meter is that the MINI's do use the BMW engine management, which has sensors for the amount of dirt in the oil....and modern synthetics are very good...still there is something to be said for the peace of mind of a 3/5k oil change.

old habits die hard I guess....

Old 11-07-2002, 02:14 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
I'm also in San Jose (at least between 8 and 5 weekdays) - I live in Hollister (rented in Willow Glen but could not afford to buy). Which dealership organized the rally? I purchased from Niello, in Sacramento.
I've only seen a couple of Coopers on 85 during the last few months. One passes me on hwy152, outside of Gilroy, a couple of times a week.

Old 11-07-2002, 02:17 PM
gosharks
4th Gear
>>I'm also in San Jose (at least between 8 and 5 weekdays) - I live in Hollister (rented in Willow Glen but could not afford to buy). Which dealership organized the rally? I purchased from Niello, in Sacramento.
>>I've only seen a couple of Coopers on 85 during the last few months. One passes me on hwy152, outside of Gilroy, a couple of times a week.

MINI of Mt. View organized the rally. They plan on doing several more. I have EB MCS.

Old 11-07-2002, 02:41 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
gosharks - if you're ever in the south valley, and see a DS/W MCS give me a honk! If you want a nice ride take Almaden Expwy to the end, jog right to McKean and take it all the way to Morgan Hill. I've been driving it for 3-years and still enjoy the ride.

Old 11-07-2002, 03:05 PM
gosharks
4th Gear
>>gosharks - if you're ever in the south valley, and see a DS/W MCS give me a honk! If you want a nice ride take Almaden Expwy to the end, jog right to McKean and take it all the way to Morgan Hill. I've been driving it for 3-years and still enjoy the ride.

Thanks DrkSlvrS! I have taken that route but only to the Cinnabar Golf Course. I will have to try futher down the road. Try 280, to Sand Hill Road, to Portola Valley Rd. and then 84 to the coast. It's unbelievable! I will look for you. I am in a EB/W MCS.

Old 11-07-2002, 07:47 PM
friedduck
4th Gear
So what's involved if you choose to do it yourself? I understand that you need a tool to reset the service indicator, no? Or, in other words, you're basically still going to have to take it at least to a BMW mechanic, no?

I've considered doing an early change myself or at a local BMW shop rather than drive a half-hour to the dealer (not to mention, have to schedule service, wait, etc.)

Anyone rack up enough miles yet?

Jeff (900 miles today.)

Old 11-07-2002, 08:02 PM
ADVANTAGE
2nd Gear
SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP! I'M FROM FRESNO CA. LOOKING FOR ACTIVITIES TO PARTICIPATE IN. I AM WILLING TO TRAVEL NORTH OR SOUTH. LOOKING FORWARD TO SHOWING MY COOPER TO OTHER OWNERS AS OPPOSED TO ANSWERING HOW MUCH. PLEASE WRITE. THOMAS IN FRESNO,ONE OF ONLY 4 IN TOWN

Old 11-08-2002, 01:32 PM
Mini2Go
ADVANTAGE........ OUCH! our eyes can't take all that screaming! please no more caps lock! we beg, please, oh please.

BTW, welcome to MCO!

Old 11-08-2002, 01:36 PM
Mini2Go
>>So what's involved if you choose to do it yourself? I understand that you need a tool to reset the service indicator, no? Or, in other words, you're basically still going to have to take it at least to a BMW mechanic, no?
>>
>>I've considered doing an early change myself or at a local BMW shop rather than drive a half-hour to the dealer (not to mention, have to schedule service, wait, etc.)
>>
>>Anyone rack up enough miles yet?
>>
>>Jeff (900 miles today.)
>>

friedduck (BTW, I get hungry just seeing your username!)

you do not need a special tool to reset the sevice indicator. (But, why not take advantage of the free service for the first 36k?) This link has great articles explaining all you need to know, and then some.

Old 11-08-2002, 01:56 PM
Zappa
5th Gear
If you like shorter drain intervals try Amsoil's new XL-7500. It was designed to compete with the lower cost TYPE III Synthetics such as Castrol. It was made for re-sale in quick lubes (Retail Accounts). I need to post the new comparison on my site about it but the new Data Sheet is on my site under the "Engine Oils " area. There are three XL7500's. the 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30. All are guaranteed for 7500 miles using the same oil filter. the cost for a case is 51.00. Figure out what your costs are vs. what you pay when you have someone else do it. you can also take this to your shop and if they tell you it will void a warranty ask them to put it in writing and watch how quickly they back off! Amsoil is always looking for this statement in writing. And since 1972 they will set the record straight.
For those in the SF Bay area I have a dealer there that can help you, as with Boston MA, Seattle area, and me here in Dallas. I ship from 10 US and 2 Canada warehouses. (also Puerto Rico and New Zealand)

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com
MCO Sponsor

Old 11-08-2002, 02:37 PM
2minis
6th Gear
I hate to say this seeing some of the prices people
are paying....my first oil and filter on the S was $39
at the dealer :smile: .

Old 11-08-2002, 04:10 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
my experience was similar to 2minis. I paid $42 for a supplimental oil change at the dealer (back at 5k) and I paid $28 today for a supplimental oil change (15k). The $14 price difference is apparently the value of the Castrol oil, since I provided Mobil 1.

Quick Reply: 10k miles, no free oil change