Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

High Pitch Squeal from brakes while driving (NOT braking)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 09:35 AM
GrabPatch
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Pitch Squeal from brakes while driving (NOT braking)

CAR: 2004 Mini Cooper S, Manual

Hey all,

I've got a squeal coming from my brakes that I cant seem to pinpoint. At first I thought the brakes were sticking because it would squeal while accelerating from a stop. Now I'm just confused because it squeals intermittently but not really when I'm braking. On the highway is when I hear it most because I'm usually driving with the windows down, and it isn't like a brake squeal, as it's much higher pitched, almost like a whistle, and less like a pad and rotor grinding.

Brake pads will need to be replaced soon, but I dont see that as being the culprit. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to start?

EDIT: Also, to note, when i brake, it seems the squeal stops momentarily then nearly immediately after i let off brakes and cruise/accelerate, the squeal comes back. I get this at both low and high speeds, regardless of ambient/engine temperature.

Thanks,
GP

Last edited by GrabPatch; 04-08-2015 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 04-08-2015, 10:18 AM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Try washing the brakes with a pressure washer, it may have something caught in them (sand, debris, dust). My Sprinter does that when we drive down dirt roads sometimes.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Reminds me of when my throw-out bearing started sounding like a whistle when clutch pedal not depressed. When you accelerate the throw-out bearing is spinning faster making more noise. Does it happen when clutch pedal is depressed?

Old 04-08-2015, 11:49 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
probably something caught - check the rotor, see if there's any marks on it

Old 04-09-2015, 07:54 AM
MINI_COOP1
Neutral
I am having this same issue. I picked the car up in december progressivly squeeled into winter and the pads had 75 percent life and same with rotors. i replaced them anyway. I got a solid 6 hours of ear relief and then it has been getting worse ever since. and the rotors were cleaned with soap and water and pads were properly bedded. does youtr squeel change pitch when you apply the brakes?

Old 04-09-2015, 03:08 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts
If it's the brakes, you need to determine which wheel is the culprit. Then safely jack up the car using jackstands and take off the wheel. Use a good flashlight while rotating the hub. Look for a pebble stuck in between the brake splash shield and the rotor. Check the pads for wear down to to the backing plate, especially on the inner one which is harder to examine.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:44 PM
GrabPatch
1st Gear
Thanks all for your input, haven't had time to work on this as I've been moving my stuff out. Hoping to work on this in the next weekend or two so I will keep you all posted. To note: the sound is strongest from the left side of the car (when I'm driving next to a highway median, as it reflects the sound).

Originally Posted by Systemlord
Does it happen when clutch pedal is depressed?
No, the car could be rolling, with clutch pressed or not and it would still sqeaul.

Originally Posted by kyoo
probably something caught - check the rotor, see if there's any marks on it
No marks on the rotors... Except for a hairline on the front left (which is where it sounds like it's coming from). I'll inspect it more this weekend, as I haven't had any chance to.

Originally Posted by MINI_COOP1
does youtr squeel change pitch when you apply the brakes?
It's silent when I press the brakes. I only get this noise when I've let off the brake and started accelerating or have been cruising on the highway.

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
If it's the brakes, you need to determine which wheel is the culprit. Then safely jack up the car using jackstands and take off the wheel. Use a good flashlight while rotating the hub. Look for a pebble stuck in between the brake splash shield and the rotor. Check the pads for wear down to to the backing plate, especially on the inner one which is harder to examine.
I'll definitely do this within this weekend or next, considering the hairline sized line i see on the front left rotor.