Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Key programming

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:34 AM
Steviet
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key programming

Apologies if we are covering old ground here....... But,

My 2004 Mini Cooper came with only the spare key. The non remote one.
I am considering buying a used key with fob/transponder and blank blade (to get cut) and using the programming method of

Key in ignition, turn first click, take out, hold unlock and click lock three times.

However, I can't find anywhere that tells me this will work for my 2004. It apparently works in an 06.

Any advice is appreciated before I spend on a spare key I don't need!

Thanks.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:39 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
This NAM thread might be able to help you out with the programming.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-18-2015, 12:30 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Steviet
However, I can't find anywhere that tells me this will work for my 2004.
No, it will not work. For a 2004, the remote lock must be programmed by the dealer.

What is your goal? If you want a second key, you will have to purchase it from the dealer. A used key won't have an immobilizer smart chip that matches your VIN, and it won't start your car. If you want to "convert" your one key to a remote, you can buy a new blank key with remote, cut the key and transfer the smart chip from your current key into it. Then it will start the car but you will still need the dealer to program the remote function.

Last edited by rkw; 06-18-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:38 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Here's a great resource for those of us with the R50/52/53 models, both before and after the refresh. It was written by another NAM member:

https://sites.google.com/site/minian...verremotekeys/

You have a car with the "Clamshell" type keys. The remote units in these keys must be paired with the car's ECU, and that is only something that a dealer can efficiently do. If you read the above pages, you will see that it is possible to do it at home with the EasyDIS software, but it is very complex and time consuming. There is no actual programming of the key itself, rather, the car is programmed to recognize and accept this key. There is not a button pushing sequence that will do this.

Although it will be expensive, your best bet is to go to the dealer with your license and title/registration and order a key. It will arrive cut to your locks and with the immobilizer chip programmed to be recognized by the anti-theft EWS system.

The dealer will then have to hook your car to their computer and program it to recognize the signal from the remote inside the key. There's lots of functions that the key can do- unroll windows, open the sunroof, pop the hatch, etc., in addition to unlocking the doors. Your dealer may charge you for this although you are welcome to ask that basic functioning (unlocking the doors) be done as a courtesy.

Good luck- don't buy an eBay key (as rkw said) as getting it to work will be a pretty big hassle.

Val