Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Rear Strut Mount Guide tube

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 02:46 PM
CGaboury
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear Strut Mount Guide tube

So I purchased my R53 with a set of ST coilovers on it. It had a clunk in the back passenger side. I replaced the Sway Bar bushings and the Sway Bar end links. Clunk persisted. I then decided to replace the Upper Strut mount. ( I don't normally throw parts at a problem... but I figured its wise to replace these things anyway).

I ordered a Rear Strut Mount Kit from Pelican Parts, the Lemforder brand. When I removed the strut from my car and disassembled it, I saw that the Old bushings were the original Mini parts and Very very squished. There was no metal guide tube installed. Upon reassembly I noticed that the Guide Tube that came in the strut mounting kit did not fit. The inner diameter was too small to go on the strut. I assume this is why the previous owner decided to not install one when they put the coil overs in. But I have to assume this is causing the clunk from my rear wheel. I had no choice but reassemble the rear without the sleeve and the same clunk is present. Id really like to get that sleeve on there.

Is this a known issue with the ST coilovers? Did I get a bad sleeve with my kit? Looking for some insight.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:29 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
This is the guide you're talking about correct?

Are you able to post a picture of the sleeve and the shaft of the ST coil. I'm not sure if the coil overs were supposed to come with something like that metal sleeve. It might be something where you need to call ST as it might be something missing from the coil over.

This is the kit correct? This is everything that should've come with it.

I'd like to know if someone else has this issue or what ST might say about it. I called them and they are wanting a photo of your set up. I would suggest calling their technical support at 1.559.875.0222. Believe it's option 4 and then just keep going through until you get an option for technical support. I assume just as you that the previous owner left it out because of the fitment issue. Please let me know what they say once you get them photos.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-22-2015, 12:47 PM
CGaboury
2nd Gear
Yes that is the same sleeve. And the one that came with it doesn't slide over the threads. I've since assembled the suspension and it's back on the car. I'll have to check that I still have the sleeve that came with it as I wasn't able to use it. I can try taking a picture. But not sure how that would add any clarity.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:13 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by CGaboury
Yes that is the same sleeve. And the one that came with it doesn't slide over the threads. I've since assembled the suspension and it's back on the car. I'll have to check that I still have the sleeve that came with it as I wasn't able to use it. I can try taking a picture. But not sure how that would add any clarity.
ST required pictures in order to determine if the right suspension is on the car, etc. They didn't really have any more helpful input to offer without photos unfortunately. Maybe post the diameter of the sleeve and I can check with Lemforder as well. I'd like to help anyway that I can so just let me know.

-Luccia

Old 06-22-2015, 01:37 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,873 Posts
The lemfoder version fits a majority of the upper rear struts , For some aftermarket ones they way the lemfolder metal tube one is made , its so tight it might not fit over the rod, and its because of that C design. What people do is if they have an aftermarket strut that does not fit they can reuse the old center metal tube with the new Lemfoder two part form mount. The foam itself is the same diameter.

Or try to bend the C a hair larger, maybe a mm or two.

You can't get the tube by itself, but we do have the HT linked that has the MINI OEM design tube.

You can see both designs below.

If you have any other questions we are here to help.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/33526754123/

Fits most strut rods.

Metal solid tube design. Fits all.

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-22-2015, 04:00 PM
CGaboury
2nd Gear
I can give them the part number off the strut if that will help to determine that I've got the proper suspension. But I don't really want to remove my coilovers to take a picture of a part that doesn't work. It sounds like the issue resides with the way the part is made by the manufacturer and it's incompatibility with the ST struts.

I don't have the original unfortunately as the previous owner didn't have it on there.

Perhaps my best bet is to just see if anyone is replacing their strut mounts and wants to donate their old used sleeve to me.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:16 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
I can give them the part number off the strut if that will help to determine that I've got the proper suspension. But I don't really want to remove my coilovers to take a picture of a part that doesn't work. It sounds like the issue resides with the way the part is made by the manufacturer and it's incompatibility with the ST struts.

I don't have the original unfortunately as the previous owner didn't have it on there.

Perhaps my best bet is to just see if anyone is replacing their strut mounts and wants to donate their old used sleeve to me.
Yes, if the part number is accessible that should work. Might be able to do that idea as well for the sleeve.

-Luccia

Old 06-26-2015, 01:02 PM
CGaboury
2nd Gear
Sorry just got around to doing this. The Part Number on my Rear Shocks is 90242

Old 06-26-2015, 01:03 PM
CGaboury
2nd Gear
I'm still trying to track someone down who might have recently done a rear shock upgrade or whatever and has a sleeve kicking around.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:40 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Sorry we cannot just get the sleeve for you , worst case you have to get the HT ones and then sell the foam part.

I would also try bending out that C tube a hair , but it might take smacking it with a tapered large punch inserted in the hole ( in a vice on one end ) on each end of the tube until it expands enough to go over the strut rod.

Good luck.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-29-2015, 09:25 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
I'm still trying to track someone down who might have recently done a rear shock upgrade or whatever and has a sleeve kicking around.
Might try posting on craigs list in your area or searching on car-part.com. If you can't find a category for that specific part, find something similar and call the place selling the part to see if they have that item sleeve. Call local junk yards too.

-Luccia

Old 07-06-2015, 02:00 PM
CGaboury
2nd Gear
So my problem is now solved. I ended up purchasing a strut mount kit from RockAuto that included the correct tube. it was only $13. It was a Munroe brand and it fit perfectly. After installing, my rear clunk is now gone.

I'm glad this is now behind me. Although I have to be honest and say I'm a little disappointed that it wasn't mentioned on the online ad when I purchased the Strut mount kit that there might be fitment issues with anything but stock suspension. I have since gone back to check the listing and there is no mention of it by the retailer. There is however, a review of the product by someone who mentions a fitment issue. I'd have thought that there would have been further review to determine the issue the complainant was having. I hope this is the first and last issue with the retailer as Ive used they a few times now.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:54 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks for the update. Knew it was the tube. We have the HT ones for around 12 , but glad you got it fixed.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:34 AM
cm.d
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECSTuning, I have this same issue for my R60 I emailed though your website messages but I didn't get a response.