Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Another Engine malfunction, reduced power thread - Findings

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 12:56 PM
troyegly
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Another Engine malfunction, reduced power thread - Findings

2012 JCW, runs GREAT. It is in primo condition, all maintenance, etc...

I drive it gently for the most part, and I am not a gentle driver.
Don't get me wrong I have pushed it at times.

So I decided to start driving the car the way I like to drive, high rev's, etc..
I received this error message at high rev's in 1st and 2nd gear.

Message went away after some time, then came on again. Then went away as I was on the way to my dealer. On freeway it was 'hard' to get it to come back on but eventually with doing some spirited driving I rolled into the dealer with the issue.

I got a call today it is the TURBO needing to be replaced. SO thankful I purchased the 3rd party warranty and it will only cost $100.00! '

Although not a mini warranty it is a superb warranty. The thermostat work I had done already and amplifier replacement has already paid for it ++

I am interested to see what the cost will be for this from the dealer.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:50 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Who did you buy the warranty from? I have a '12 MCS and have been shopping for a while..

Old 12-19-2016, 09:10 PM
Chad Morin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please let us know your warranty specs please. Many are searching.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:48 PM
Chad Morin
2nd Gear
JB+ Engine Malfunction! Reduce Pwer Engine Operating at Reduced Output help?!

I needed a commuter car as I live in Chicago and own two Land Rovers for work which was getting exhausting and speedy on gas driving 3 hours a day if traffic was bad. Had I found this forum I might not have bought a Mini. I see so many on the road I mistakenly thought they were reliable. I love british themed things and knew that maintenance would run me more, but I didn't care. I wanted a AWD city sized car that got good gas mileage, pep, and manual transmission as I love cornering at speed. I had a budget of around $20,000 and found the only Countryman with all I wanted accessory wise (Navi, Btooth, Manual)

Got a good interest rate at Carmax so I bought the thing and profusely turned down their extended warranty which I a starting to regret. Since I have 5 days to get a full return no questions asked on the morning of the 5th day I brought it to my mechanic and he pointed out that an area on the hood had been repainted and that the passenger side wheel well was misaligned and even had a self tapping screw holding it on! BUT, the carfax said no prior accidents. He sai they hodge lodged the wheel well together but the pint was done well excep a chip on the rim where you could see raised clear coat and bump under the paint making obvious the car had even repainted. I was a little pissed but he told me that there was zero indication of frame or internal damage so the damage was cosmetic, he did find a broken radiator support arm which was common on such a low clearance vehicle. I had him switch the oil to Synth and gave him $90 for the change and the overlook. I called Carmax service and explained the isssues and that they needed to be addressed or I was returning the car that hour. The service manager said that the 30 day warranty would cover al that was needed and so I made the service appointment the next day and they gave me a loaner. They ordered a new OEM wheel well trim and fixed everything whilst providing me with a loaner. No haggling, just "OK we will fix it and call you when it's ready" I was pretty happy with the level of service but skeptical of the promises made. While I waited I bought a whole bunch of accessories including a JB+ ecu booster and the ECS led light package.

I get the car back and all was fixed. Since it's 10 degrees in Chicago this time f year I used their garage to put on all the accessories Iposted on their forum from badges to AFE drop in air filter and a MANN charcoal caving filter and the JB+ module. The next day I backed up the car and a plastic piece fell off the bottom of the passenger side with a screw that almost pierced my tire. I listed the part on this forum and it turns out i was a pulley protection cover. I was pissed but called my mechanic, he said not to worry but get it replaced if it's still under warranty. I drove for a few days and after a few hundred miles I loved the way the JB+ made the car drive. That was until today. I drove for 50 miles rapidly to my office and topped off the gas at a well known BP using premium octane and since the roads are salty here I got an express was which was open despite it being like 15F out. As I was turning it of the gas station the car started slipping and jerking when I tried to accelerate and it it shuddered a little bit and threw the check engine light on with the engine half colored in and the engine light on the speedo. The entertainment center read, "Engine Malfunction! Reduced Power, Drive with Caution and see mini mechanic! All I did was go though a car wash. Anyway I limped to a post office and turned the car off and waited a few minutes and turned the car back on. It all went away so I drove it around the block and it still shuddered and stalled a little. I limped to my office by then the Engine Malfuncton sign was on again. I popped the hood open and locked the doors and left it for 20 minutes then pulled the JB+ out and reconnected the stock computer connections and turned the car on again. This time all the warning lights went off except the engine light under the speedo. It shuddered a couple times but went back to normal. Not seeing too may bad reviews on the JB+ I put it back in. That was tonight. On the way home it shuddered a little but didn't theogony the mess. CarMax agreed to give me a loaner tomorrow fix any issue. I am trying to get the problem to reoccur so they see what's happpend to my car and are able to diagosed. Anyone with tips or suggestions on what to have them check? Its Carmax, they are going to do what's ceapest, and figure out how to do as little as possible prior to my warranty running out. I read a bunch of other threads here on NAM al are different from thermostats to new turbos! The only thing triggering this other than bad luck was i installed all the Zika leds on the interior the night before? The JB+ seemed to have been the culprit so far!

Reduced Power 2014 countryman Carmax

Last edited by Chad Morin; 12-20-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:59 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
You need to have the codes read using a scanner capable of reading Mini codes. It really sounds like a high pressure fuel pump failing, but without codes, hard to say for sure. Sounds like my symptoms when the HPFP was failing on my 2011 MCS. I would say the car wash and JB+ install were coincidental. My JB+ has never caused any issues for me. Never an issue after a car was, either. Keep us posted as to what you find. As far as aftermarket warranties go, I have the Hendrick Autogaurd. Purchased that when I bought my Mini used at about 21k miles, now at 68k. They have covered everything so far. My service advisor said they were very easy to work with. My warranty expires at 81k, and I have the option to renew it at that point. I will be doing just that!

Old 12-25-2016, 06:53 AM
Chad Morin
2nd Gear
Thank you for responding!

Originally Posted by renchjeep
You need to have the codes read using a scanner capable of reading Mini codes. It really sounds like a high pressure fuel pump failing, but without codes, hard to say for sure. Sounds like my symptoms when the HPFP was failing on my 2011 MCS. I would say the car wash and JB+ install were coincidental. My JB+ has never caused any issues for me. Never an issue after a car was, either. Keep us posted as to what you find. As far as aftermarket warranties go, I have the Hendrick Autogaurd. Purchased that when I bought my Mini used at about 21k miles, now at 68k. They have covered everything so far. My service advisor said they were very easy to work with. My warranty expires at 81k, and I have the option to renew it at that point. I will be doing just that!
The car wash was coincidental for sure. Once I disconnected the JB+ the big (half filled tank) message with reduced power went away but there were mild bucking issues at speed still. I put the JB back in and the check engine light was on but the loss of power still erased. Still mild bucking. I drive it hard to carmax with noticible bucking on the highway but no full loss of power. Since I'm only covered in carmaxs' 30 day I stopped at an auto zone to check the codes but they were too busy. I took the JB+ off and all check engines went off. Drove it straight to carmax at speed and no issues. As I pulled in of course the car didn't buck and the light turned off.

Carmax called and said there wer misfires non the 2nd and 4th cylinders and that the plugs were fine but those two widening harnesses are to be replaced. I am worried it may be the HPFP as that alone may be worth the cost of an extended warranty. Although HPFP failure often surfaces as a stalled engine after start which I never encountered.

Thank you you for the warranty info.

What at do you guys think. Do plug wires fail that often or is this a quick fix Tom save time until my 30 days is up?