Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2006 r53 misfiring trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 02:19 PM
Alanberto
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 r53 misfiring trouble starting

The problem that i have is that I accelerated under full throttle till i reached 45. The light turned red so i slowed down. When i stop at the red light the car starts to sputter and it seems like its misfiring. Dont know what went wrong. So i pull into a gas station and i turn it off, it was still sputtering and rhe car would barely accelerate. When i turn it off white smoke came out of the exhaust and it wouldnt turn on after that. I removed the intercooler to check if everything under there was ok and to my surprise the intercooler was full of fuel. Why idk. Fuel is going up to the rail and holding strong. I manage too turn it on after a while and it is still misfiring. What could be the problem? ?? Please help the code randon cylinder misfire came up. It has new wires and i swapped out the msd ignition i had in with the stock one to see if that solved it but still the same.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:57 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
You using 90-93 octane (rm+2, the US/north American rating system, higher in other countries)? Folks sometimes try to go cheap...and burn a valve, or worse....
Next...a gas smell in the pcv track (it is looped to the IC) is somewhat normal with a misfire...fuel is not getting burnt...so it dilutes the oil, washes down the cylindars walls, and gets pumped around as pcv blowby....
I would get a compression check done...the whisp if white-ish smoke is troublesome....when the compression check is done, the plugs can be swapped/checked too....
Any other codes? Just a random misfire code?

Old 10-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Alanberto
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
You using 90-93 octane (rm+2, the US/north American rating system, higher in other countries)? Folks sometimes try to go cheap...and burn a valve, or worse....
Next...a gas smell in the pcv track (it is looped to the IC) is somewhat normal with a misfire...fuel is not getting burnt...so it dilutes the oil, washes down the cylindars walls, and gets pumped around as pcv blowby....
I would get a compression check done...the whisp if white-ish smoke is troublesome....when the compression check is done, the plugs can be swapped/checked too....
Any other codes? Just a random misfire code?
It also had a cylinder 2 injector low voltage o somthing like that and also cylinder 2 low fuel. I went to start it right now and it started like normal and it didnt struggle or anything. It seemed back to normal. I always use premium fuel.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:01 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
White smoke from the exhaust is coolant and you should be able to smell it too. What P codes is it throwing? That'll help with narrowing down the possibilities.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Alanberto
2nd Gear
Missfire in cylinder 2 and injector 2 circuit low. It went back to normal that same day and now it happend again. Was just driving and it started stuttering again. White smoke would come out mostly when i would come to a stop. And again the car wont start now

Old 10-19-2015, 12:08 PM
Alanberto
2nd Gear
Also when the car was running fine it would not produce white smoke and it would be fine. Yesterday i was also driving it and it started missfiring in cylinder 2. I was on my way home and just before i got there it went back to normal and stayed fine until a little while ago

Old 10-19-2015, 12:18 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
So it's throwing P0264 and P0302?

P0264 - Cylinder 2 Injector Circuit Low - Clogged or partially clogged fuel injector can cause this code. This and more information HERE.

P0302, try swapping the plugs around and see if the misfire follows. Some more info here. Good info in this NAM thread here as well.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-19-2015, 12:20 PM
Alanberto
2nd Gear
The thing is that it wont turn on now

Old 10-19-2015, 12:31 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Alanberto
The thing is that it wont turn on now

Driving a car till it will not go is always the most $$ option...makes troubleshooting and real rs much more difficult and $$, as it allows the original issue to progress....

IMO, do a compression check...the white smoke MIGHT have been from a head-gasket failing...would certainly account for a no start...but likewise, a car driven with a clogged fuel injector could have burnt a valve, also giving you a zero compression, resulting in a zero comoression, no start....
Guess you backed yourself into a cornor by driving it till it died...time to look deeper and spend more $$$ now than what MIGHT have just been a $50 injector....