Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

CVT Problems...possibly

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 12:19 PM
cooper85i
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CVT Problems...possibly

So at what point do I begin to worry about my transmission? 02 R50, 139K miles. Recently noticing problems. It's fall here so there are lots of squirrels, always running across the road. One ran in front of me today, I slammed on the brakes, missed him, then put the foot back on the gas. The whole car jolted forward, tires screeched, and trans revved up way high. Its happened before too.

I've never changed the CVT fluid...bout time to do that? Or is it too late.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:57 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Way past time!!!
Don't know much about the CVT except what has been posted here before and what I've read states that THAT is a requirement. There should be a handful of old timers jump in here with more specific wisdom on the issue. Good luck. Sure hope it isn't cratered.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:30 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Typically, you'll want to change the fluid every 50,000 miles or so along with the filter in the transmission. Nowadays, there are more than a few major automobile manufacturers stating that they have developed transmissions that require no fluid changes. The fluid inside is considered to be "lifetime" oil, meaning that it never needs to be changed. Over the years, it seems that this may have been an overly ambitious claim. Officially, MINI has specified that the Aisin GA6F21 transmission is "sealed for life." This means that MINI has not specified a fluid/filter change interval. Lots of information about the fluid change as well as a step by step process to change it here. Fluid and filter here if needed.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-26-2015, 06:28 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Please note that Pelican Parts, in it's enthusiasm to post, has posted information and presumably instructions about how to change the fluid in an Aisin automatic transmission like those used in the "S" models.

You have a CVT and I believe the change interval on those was 25k and I assume that the procedure is different, at least slightly. You also need to use CVT fluid (which is not regular ATF) and I have heard that the Redline is recommended over the OEM Esso.

Val

Old 10-26-2015, 08:19 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
I would have been worried long time ago. The highest mileage one I've ever seen is 160k. You can change the fluid at this point, but sometimes that makes it worse so it's a gamble.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 10-27-2015, 08:00 AM
cooper85i
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would a dealer service it? And why is it a gamble?

Old 10-27-2015, 08:38 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by valvashon
Please note that Pelican Parts, in it's enthusiasm to post, has posted information and presumably instructions about how to change the fluid in an Aisin automatic transmission like those used in the "S" models.

You have a CVT and I believe the change interval on those was 25k and I assume that the procedure is different, at least slightly. You also need to use CVT fluid (which is not regular ATF) and I have heard that the Redline is recommended over the OEM Esso.

Val
Good looking out. Obviously not reading thoroughly enough.

Yes, that is the Aisin. For the CVT there is a DIY post here and some really good PDF files at this post in this NAM thread here, which includes the fluid and filter change. There is also some good info about the CVT intervals in that thread as well.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST