Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Brake pads slap/click - need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 01:59 PM
Yazon
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pads slap/click - need help

Hey all,
I've recently replaced front brakes and rotors on 2006 Mini convertible - Akebono pads and Zimmerman rotors. Now when accelerating or decelerating, if a windows or top are open - sometimes i hear a loud click or slap of metal on metal. I lifted the car and checked suspension but didn't find anything loose.

I can only assume that it's the pads sliding around in calipers. Not sure why this is happening as during replacement I've installed brand new spring clips on the calipers. Checked them and there is tension, they seem to be doing their job.

Greased pads back sides to prevent squeal.

Inspected and lubed guide pins.

Checked torque on all bolts.

I don't know why this is happening, any ideas or remedies?

Old 10-26-2015, 02:09 PM
Swimbaxter
4th Gear
I've had this same thing happen on my 06 R52 as well. I ended up using some of that pink brake quiet you can get at Autozone. It took care of the problem.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:17 PM
Yazon
2nd Gear
I did get some brake paste, but it's not really helping with the click. Any other ideas?

Anyone has ever seen defective caliper springs? I'll buy another set if this makes sense to try, but maybe someone has another idea on the cause?

Old 10-27-2015, 04:56 PM
Swimbaxter
4th Gear
Old 10-27-2015, 08:42 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts
Can you tell if it's coming from the one corner or all of them? It's been a while since I've done the brakes, but it seems like I remember the rears being weird and that you have to slide the wire clip that's on the pad onto the piston in the caliper. If you didn't do that maybe that's what's causing the noise?

Otherwise it seems like the fronts have a spring thing that fits into the piston maybe you got shipped the wrong ones and they're not staying put in the piston?

If it were me, I'd probably pull it all apart again, make sure everything is put together right, and if it's not gone then either take it to a brake or mini shop to have them check it out. They shouldn't be making a noise, and while I don't think it's super dangerous any problem with the brakes has the potential to be a big problem while you're moving.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:53 PM
Yazon
2nd Gear
SwimbaxterSwimbaxter - i'll give it a shot, maybe this will work, thanks for the link!

Racingguy04Racingguy04 - it's from the front for sure. I THINK is is on the driver's side, but then the sound is very hard to place since it's momentary and not continuous.

The fronts also have those three clips that slide into the piston. I took off the wheels and calipers last weekend thinking i must have missed something or needed to torque it down, but torque was all to spec and clips were sitting solid inside the piston. If it is the pads making this noise - they have to be the outside ones that are "floating". I'll take it all apart again in order to try CRC Disk Quiet recommended above and will triple check it.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:05 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts
sounds like a plan, I don't know those pads in particular, maybe they don't have the rubberish backing on the floating pads? that might explain the noise, and why the grease helps.