Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

New pulley belt shows signs of cracking and slight burning smell...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 02:49 PM
madmike007
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New pulley belt shows signs of cracking and slight burning smell...

Just noticed a slight burning smell today coming from engine area, passenger side. First though my brakes. Nope. Then thought about oil leak. Nope.

Then it hit me! I recently had a new belt, belt tensioner replacement and ATI dampener installed a few months ago. Since then, I have a put few hundred miles on the MINI. After inspecting the belt, I noticed the inside of belt has cuts along the ribs. I don't think this looks right! See attached photo.

If the belt is damaged, I suspect the mechanic replaced the old belt with a stock belt (without checking the old belt part number). I have a 17% pulley, so my belt is not the standard size.

Does this sound/look like mechanic installed the wrong size belt?

Assuming the belt is wrong size, can someone provide me with the correct belt part number for 17% pulley.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:49 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
That belt is def the old belt as no belt would crack and look that old after just 2 months. We have them in stock
http://www.waymotorworks.com/15-or-1...rger-belt.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 11-19-2015, 09:17 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
You could always give them a shout and ask if they indeed did replace it, but that's saying they'll remember or say if they truly did or didn't. Did you pay for a new belt on the receipt?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-19-2015, 07:54 PM
madmike007
4th Gear
I spoke to my local shop owner and he said they didn't replace the belt as the belt "appeared" to be in good shape. Why would anyone re-install an old belt, when a replacement cost $30. They charged over a thousand dollars to do all the major work, but didn't even bother to change out the least expensive, but most critical part. Really?

The shop owner said.... "I didn't ask for the belt to be changed and their mechanic said the belt looked fine upon inspection. So what do you want me to do about it?".

My response, "Make it right!". He then proceeded to state I have an attitude and I'm insulting him. He said... "Go buy the part and have someone else install it!". Gotta love people who accept no responsibility for their incompetent work.

I'm done with ****** mechanics who think they know what they are doing! Sorry for the rant, but I'm just fed up!

Old 11-19-2015, 10:48 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
Give him some free advertising here, who was it?

Old 11-20-2015, 08:10 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Sorry to hear about all that, but glad you check the belt yourself and can now put on a new one. Hopefully you'll be able to find a different indy shop for any future repairs.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-25-2015, 12:30 PM
madmike007
4th Gear
Thanks for the feedback and support. I've decided to be a bigger man and take the high road.

Rather than bash or knock on a local shop, I will chalk this up to a lesson learned. Always double check the work performed by you shop. Read the receipt for all parts replaced. Never assume or trust anyone!

Having said that, I have had great experiences with Tyrol Motorsports (Queens, NY) and Helix Motorsports (Philadelphia, PA). Tyrol is a very busy shop, so you should plan a couple of weeks in advance. Both shops are professional and very experienced mechanics who know the MINI's inside and out.

I just scheduled my appointment with Tyrol. Better to wait a couple of weeks and have the job done right. FTW