Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Oil light after engine heats up st idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 07:31 PM
aquamann
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil light after engine heats up st idle

I have a 08 mini r56 S that has 145k miles on it and recently after a oil change after the engine heated up the low oil pressure light came on at the tach position every time it reached idle rpms. I have had the car about 8 months as a weekend driver only, I've been going replacing things people say go out. So far I have changed the oil 3 times because it was sitting in a car lot, I've changed the fuel filter, rebuilt the turbo, changed the oil intake line for the turbo, flushed the radiator, and replaced the plugs and vacuume pump and the seals on the oil filter cooling housing just because my daughter is gonna be driving this car in a couple months. I've done a lot of reading and seems as that most people with this problem all have it with the r55 not sure what could be causing this was wondering if it is the filter I'm using or something missing in the filter reservoir here is a pic of the filter I'm using and where the filter contacts. I have changed the oil one more time since it started happening but same thing.

Last edited by aquamann; 02-01-2016 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Info
Old 02-02-2016, 05:50 PM
aquamann
1st Gear
Oil light

Anyone?

Old 02-02-2016, 06:02 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
What oil weight are you using?

Old 02-02-2016, 07:10 PM
aquamann
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
What oil weight are you using?
Have been using 5w 30 mobile 1 full synthetic

Old 02-03-2016, 05:08 PM
aquamann
1st Gear
anyone got any idea

Old 02-03-2016, 06:19 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Strange, but with 145,000 miles I can only recommend you run something like this or this. These engines run way too hot (214-226) for there own good and when you shut off the engine after a long trip the oil bakes itself into the oil channels. I used the EPR at 50,000 miles and trust me when I say you've never seen oil this black before, it looked like tar! You've gone 100,000 miles further than me so... Damn!

How much oil did you pour into your crankcase? Should be 4.75 quarts if you let it drain well.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:22 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aquamann, I don't really have an answer for you but I've been doing my oil changes without the issues you are experiencing since my Mini has been new. I recommend buying a genuine, Mini Filter and also using Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula. The Mobil 1 oil you are using may not meet the specs below:

Mini states to use the following: Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market
- Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30
- Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40
- Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30
- Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

I don't know if this is your problem, but it is where I would start. I have 112k miles on my engine.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:26 PM
aquamann
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gregsmini
aquamann, I don't really have an answer for you but I've been doing my oil changes without the issues you are experiencing since my Mini has been new. I recommend buying a genuine, Mini Filter and also using Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula. The Mobil 1 oil you are using may not meet the specs below:

Mini states to use the following: Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market
- Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30
- Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40
- Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30
- Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

I don't know if this is your problem, but it is where I would start. I have 112k miles on my engine.
Thanks I just ordered mini oil filters

Old 02-04-2016, 04:35 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aquamann, the question I keep wondering is if you really have low oil pressure? Idiot lights aren't very reliable, and either the light comes on or it doesn't. It really is difficult to interpret. The lack of gauges is very frustrating.

I installed a Craven gauge combo with oil pressure and water temp. It's an expensive option. You might consider replacing the oil pressure sending unit, maybe it's bad.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:21 AM
enoe01
2nd Gear
Have you checked for any codes, as Gregsmini said above the lack of gauges etc is annoying. I'm just throwing ***** against the wall but could the low pressure idiot light you are seeing also have an additional meaning? It just have all the codes pulled and check to see what is going on before going further. I know autozone, discount auto etc can pull most of our codes, you can buy a code reader from one of our great sponsors on here, or buy a Bluetooth device that plugs into your OBII Port and download DashCommand, it reads all codes, resets the codes and also has a lot of different gauges that our cars don't have but the computer can read. Just some options. Good Luck!

Old 02-05-2016, 06:06 AM
aquamann
1st Gear
Originally Posted by enoe01
Have you checked for any codes, as Gregsmini said above the lack of gauges etc is annoying. I'm just throwing ***** against the wall but could the low pressure idiot light you are seeing also have an additional meaning? It just have all the codes pulled and check to see what is going on before going further. I know autozone, discount auto etc can pull most of our codes, you can buy a code reader from one of our great sponsors on here, or buy a Bluetooth device that plugs into your OBII Port and download DashCommand, it reads all codes, resets the codes and also has a lot of different gauges that our cars don't have but the computer can read. Just some options. Good Luck!
Not throwing any codes I took it to autozone and had it checked but there is code when the oil lamp is on that I can read using the turn signal switch. It will say ccid-212 but the code is gone when the light not on, I'm going to look into the additional gauges, I also ordered mini oil filters I have been running wix brand but I noticed on minis parts website in the diagram the oil filter has a different looking end on the filter I'm going to also order a sending unit today. I do plan to sea foam the oil in a couple days just to make sure that's not the problem I have friend that works in a engine shop and road races he said I should sea foam the oil to clean it out and he ordered me some Brad penn 10 w 30 oil to try he said that's what he runs that it would be better for the turbo in the car

Old 02-05-2016, 08:12 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Some of the aftermarket lower grade Gen 2 MINI oil filter like to lint allot and clog the Vanos and other items. That's why I use Mann, Mahle or the genuine MINI filter, it does not lint as much. For the oil go with the LL-01 recommended above or the ones we have in our oil service kits, they are also LL-01 . The Porsche stock mobile 1 is also the same for MINI.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2008-Cooper-R56-S-Coupe-L4_1.6L_N14B16A/Maintenance/Engine/Oil_Service/

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2008-Cooper-R56-S-Coupe-L4_1.6L_N14B16A/Engine/Filter/

Also I would check the oil pressure switch as it could have faulted or failed. Check the plug connection.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...replacing.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-05-2016, 08:34 AM
aquamann
1st Gear
Thanks for the info I ordered the oil pressure switch this morning and ordered filters from Seattle mini the other day I'm gonna order these filters u recommended also so I can compare. If they send me the same ones I'll just have extras. Thanks for the help

Old 02-05-2016, 08:35 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
You are welcome. Glad to help.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-09-2016, 10:29 AM
aquamann
1st Gear
Filters

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Some of the aftermarket lower grade Gen 2 MINI oil filter like to lint allot and clog the Vanos and other items. That's why I use Mann, Mahle or the genuine MINI filter, it does not lint as much. For the oil go with the LL-01 recommended above or the ones we have in our oil service kits, they are also LL-01 . The Porsche stock mobile 1 is also the same for MINI.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2008-Cooper-R56-S-Coupe-L4_1.6L_N14B16A/Maintenance/Engine/Oil_Service/

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2008-Cooper-R56-S-Coupe-L4_1.6L_N14B16A/Engine/Filter/

Also I would check the oil pressure switch as it could have faulted or failed. Check the plug connection.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...replacing.html

So I ordered 2 filters from mini and 2 filters that were recommended by ecs tuning and I'll say I had been using the Bosch and wix brand filters and the mini filters are noticably 1/16 of a inch longer which could definatly cause the drain back plunger in the oil filter reservoir to not drain properly and cause a oil pressure light here is a picture of the difference... Thanks ECS tuning for the help!

Old 04-19-2018, 08:33 AM
Larry#5
Neutral
I have the exact same problem on my 2007 s mini. Did you find anything that works?
Larry#5

Old 04-19-2018, 01:06 PM
carwhisperer
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would definitely try the things suggested and hope for the best. However, sadly, I suspect you do actually have low oil pressure, if the light behaves predictably under that scenario. Does the light go off when you rev the engine a little?

I agree that these cars run too hot. I would also add that they idle too low. I think these two things are not a good recipe for engine bearing longevity. I am working on a way to increase my idle speed right now. Even if you do have low oil pressure, I think you could get some more life out of your engine by doing any or all of the following:

1. Run a slightly thicker weight oil.
2. Increase your idle speed.
3. Make your car run cooler.

2 and 3 aren't so easy

Old 04-19-2018, 01:16 PM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Do they make high volume oil pumps for these engines?

Old 04-20-2018, 08:49 AM
carwhisperer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minidogger
Do they make high volume oil pumps for these engines?
I don't know, but I'm having my own issues. My car is making a rattling sound when idling hot. No oil light. I checked the oil last night (which is difficult, in my opinion, because of the spring wrapped around the dipstick). I think I was at the bottom of the safe zone. Now I'm at the top. My car idles way down in the mid to upper 600 rpm range. When I bump the idle to 900 the noise completely disappears. I'm working on rigging something up to hold the pedal down a little. I also plan to change the oil.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:03 AM
carwhisperer
2nd Gear
I just got off the phone with a shop in my area that fixes Minis. He recommended oil as heavy as 20-50 and said don't use Mobil 1. He recommended Lucas or Motul. I think I'm going to try some 5-40 or 10-40.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:11 PM
carwhisperer
2nd Gear
I changed my oil to Castrol Synthetic 10-30. The old oil felt like water. I haven't heard my ticking sound at idling since, but I'm worried I'll hear it again. If I don't, I'll probably imagine it. Not sure if this can help you.