Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

04 Mini will not start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 06:13 PM
2004minicooper
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Mini will not start.

Hello all, would appreciate your help with my mini's issue. I got a new alternator, new belt, new battery and a new starter. It will not start, luckely it happened in my driveway. I was able to hit the old starter with a hammer and got it started long enough to get it into my garage on ramps. Replaced the starter on Saturday thinking that was the issue and it still will not start. I turn the key everything lights up like normal and turn the key all the way thru and nothing no clicking. I have checked all the fuses and they are all good from what I can see, I am not a mechanic, but I was able to replace the alternator and starter myself with help from YouTube. I would appreciate any input you have to sove this issue.

Thank you.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:41 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
If there is not enough charge in the battery, the DME will not allow you to start the car as a way to protect its systems, but will light up the dash enough to make you think its ok.
How old / what is the condition of the battery?

Old 02-05-2016, 06:43 PM
2004minicooper
Neutral
Battery and alternator are 3 weeks old.
Starter is 1 week olsd.2

Old 02-06-2016, 06:21 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
More info needed.

Please better explain "doesn't start". That could mean starter works but engine doesn't fire up or could mean when turning the key to position II nothing happens at all...

MINI is somewhat finicky in respect to OEM parts. And most if not all aftermarket alternators even if it's a BOSCH unit are not the same as the ones from MINI. And if they do work, crap out in 1 -3 months.

1) If you put old starter in, and tap it, will the engine start then ?

2) Back track your installation and hate to say it, but start from the beginning and make sure all connections were are good and complete. Sometimes its just a matter of having missed a step of the installation process either by you or the guy in the video.

3) That doesn't work, AAA it on flat bed to MINI dealer. I have seen situations where an electrical spike to DME fried a circuit requiring purchase of new one.

GL!

Old 02-06-2016, 03:53 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by 2004minicooper
...I got a new alternator, new belt, new battery and a new starter.
You mentioned a new starter...
Make sure you have the starter connected properly.

I seem to recall a past thread where someone's brand new battery couldn't keep a charge, and they assumed it was the alternator. It turned out that they had replaced the starter and thought they had it wired correctly when they did not. It had something to do with mistakenly putting the two large leads on separate posts rather than doubling them on the same post, which is where they should be.

When they were installed incorrectly, there was a constant draw on the battery (even new ones) that didn't allow the engine to start.

I'm on my phone, so not exactly in a position to research this fully and provide links to that thread, but your problem seems very familiar.

I dug up this pic showing how the wires should be connected to the starter.

Good luck and please report back.

Attached Thumbnails 04 Mini will not start.-image-3907000787.png  

Last edited by AoxoMoxoA; 02-07-2016 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-08-2016, 01:58 PM
Fir3Chi3f
2nd Gear
Currently just so happen to be in a similar situation: I have a new starter and my battery load tested good. Although hitting the starter didn't help me.

Here is something you can try if you're brave (read as stupid) like myself: arch a screw driver across the posts on the starter solenoid with the key in the run position. In my case the engine started and ran just fine (had someone sit in the driver seat and stop it since there is no header and I'm leaning over the engine with a screw driver) 10/10 would not recommend =P

Moral of the story:
My suspicion is corrosion inside the ignition switch on the steering column, but haven't had time to tear into the steering column yet. Which is what I do recommend if you have the time.

Last edited by Fir3Chi3f; 02-08-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:20 AM
2004minicooper
Neutral
Hello again and thank you for your suggestions. I did remove the heat shield cover over the starter and made a connection with a screwdriver and it starts right up. Funny thing is, it starts every time when the heat shield is removed. I put the heat shield back on and it will not start. I made sure the heat shield was no making contact with any other part of the car and still no start. Starter is wired correctly. I think there might be a loose ground somewhere behind the motor. Since I was able to start it I dropped it off at my family's mechanic to diagnose today and see if he can solve this issue.

Thanks again, will post the fix if he finds it.