Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

How to determine if you have YoYo, Stumble or Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 12:43 PM
fprintf
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to determine if you have YoYo, Stumble or Hesitation

I swear my car, that now has V38, has a stumble. For sure it is not very smooth off the throttle, as when I get off the throttle it kind of bucks a little bit. Immediately after the SW update I thought perhaps I needed to be smoother on my throttle, but I get a pretty good bucking if I get off the gas and then on the gas again even a little bit. Also I seem to need quite a bit of throttle and at least 1500 RPMs to get the car moving in 1st gear that I did not need before. The other day I let the clutch out early, with the car at 1,000 RPMs fully engaged and the car would not move across the intersection!

I have tried reading the massive amounts of threads on the YoYo problem and I would like to know if there is a tutorial on how to make these things happen.

For instance, is the YoYo only with the AC on, from 2,000 - 3,000 RPM in 2nd or 3rd gear.

I know this probably varies by car, but I would like to put my car through the paces to determine if I have any of these various issues. So a step by step tutorial on how to force these things to happen would be very helpful before I decide to visit my dealer and need to show the service manager that I have something wrong.

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2004, 04:07 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fprintf
The other day I let the clutch out early, with the car at 1,000 RPMs fully engaged and the car would not move across the intersection!
YOu were able to do this before the upgrade? THis is a 1.6L 4-cylinder. It is not meant to drive nevermind ACCELERATE in the 1000RPM range, nevermind 1000RPMs!!! The S has NO power (none) below 2k RPMs unless you have a much smaller supercharger pulley.

Old 08-27-2004, 04:16 PM
mini giant
4th Gear
bump please,
because i just upgraded to ver.38, and i get the buck also when i let off the throttle, and it also makes smoothe shifts not so easy.
i originally thought that i had the yoyo w/ what i belive was ver37, and i definately had the idle stumble issue as well, but i just hope that i did not add more problems than what was supposedly taken away

Old 09-06-2004, 12:15 PM
JCIP
2nd Gear
It sounds like you have the yo-yo. Read through the threads on the 'Yo-Yo Chronicles', and also the threads on 'rough idle and stalling' in this forum. The problem seems to be related to heat, high underhood temps, and also to the super charger by-pass. While it won't cure the problem directly, you may be able to recognize the conditions when they occur, and you can then decide if you want to make the fixes as outlined in the threads.