Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Post Dealer Oil Change Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 11:58 PM
Magdragon
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Dealer Oil Change Issues

Yesterday, we had East Bay Mini change the oil in our 1 year old Mini 2003 Mini with 7,700 miles. After driving home for approximately 19 miles, we checked the oil and found:
(1) The oil from the crankcase appeared to be black in color and very opaque
(2) The crankcase was overfilled by about 1/3 quart according to the drip stick
(3) When we examined a new bottle of Castrol Syntec Oil, it was a light brown and translucent.

My questions are:
(1) Should I be concerned if the crankcase is overfilled?
(2) Can the color of new oil and translucence change so dramatically in 19 miles?
(3) Is it possible that the oil was not changed?

Magdragon

Old 08-29-2004, 12:04 AM
richmds
1st Gear
If it was black I would be concerned. Everytime I have had my oil changed you can barely see it on the yellow dipstick as new oil is either lighter or same color as the dipstick.
Only time I can see a readout is after a few thousand miles as the oil starts doing its thing.

1/3 overfilled should not be a big deal, but being what you described could it be they just topped it off instead of change the oil?
I know when I went in once, before I did oil changes myself, the service advisor kept reminding me that the oil can go 15k and a change wasnt necessary. Being that you are under 8k perhaps they thought the same?

Old 08-29-2004, 10:25 AM
Sullivan'sDaddy
3rd Gear
Magdragon-
1) Double check the oil again to see if it is still dark. If so, then...
2) Check what your service invoice reads. It should state that they did oil service and lists:
Filt Element, 5W30-Oil-MINI, and Filter.
If it does then I would talk to the service manager.

Old 08-29-2004, 02:13 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When my car got back from the first oil change, the oil on the dip stick
was pretty clear and not brown/black at all. considering that, your oil
may not have been changed...

Did they just add more oil?!

Old 08-29-2004, 02:48 PM
npartist
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I TRIED to get my oil changed a Global Imports MINI last year when I was at 7,100 miles (I told them to do an extra one, I would pay for it) and they said okay and after waiting 5+ HOURS (I had a few other minor things to do to like rattle and stuff) my advisor came and apologized for the insane wait and said that the oil change was on them because of the wait. Will with my wanting to get home, I did not check the oil there. When I got home though, I checked it and sure enough it was not changed! not even topped off, it was low!!! So i called him up and he told me it was changed but I requested to talk to the service guy who actually "did" the oil change. My advisor came back on the phone saying that he talked to the service guy and admited that the oil was not changed. So I talked to the general mangager of Global and got my service advisor fired (it was not my advisor's first complaint of lying to customers).

So, always check your oil at the dealer!

Old 08-30-2004, 06:21 AM
ElonCooper
3rd Gear
Black oil. 19 miles. Not changed.

Old 08-30-2004, 11:48 AM
LilRedMini
3rd Gear
There is one way to know FOR SURE that your oil has been changed. Do it yourself. Even for the non mechanical person it is a very simple thing to do. A jug of Mobil One can be had for $20 and you can get Mini brand oil filters from Classic here on the website for $6 each.

When done, pour your used oil into the jug from which came the new oil and then take it to Wal Mart auto center, autozone or one of many other places to dispose of it.

It gets back to the old adage: "If you want a job done right, do it yourself."

Old 08-30-2004, 12:00 PM
fuzzyface
2nd Gear
Well guys, I bought the MINI oil and it is darker than syntec. I was told that it is a different formula than syntec 'cause it is from germany and does meet the long life BMW specs. Who knows for sure? Tim

Old 08-30-2004, 03:26 PM
richmds
1st Gear
Fuzzyface if you bought the oil new cracked the cap open and it is darker thats ok. The Syntec they are referring to is German made and it is true it is by far a superior oil to the Syntec offered here in the US.

If that is what you have it will definitely hold up much longer than Syntec you buy at a local Walmart or PepBoys.

If you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for it and did you just pick it up at a Mini service parts department?

Old 08-30-2004, 04:13 PM
fuzzyface
2nd Gear
Bought it from our sponser Classic Mini and yes it was discounted to $3.20. Just have to mention that you belong to NAM. I think it is 4 bucks at a BMW dealer, but does not say MINI on it. I thought it was a heck of a buy, especially if it is a better formula of syntec. I plan on changing at 7,500 miles...1/2 the normal maintenance. Tim

Old 09-02-2004, 09:50 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
I take my 02 MC to EB MINI also. I would say that the oil has not been changed. On all my oil changes, the oil is still a nice amber color, just slightly darker than when brand new after several thousand miles.

As much as I and many others think highly of EB MINI, it is possible that they screwed up there. They once overtightened my oil drain plug after the 10k mile service and when it came time for me to do my own oil change, I had such a difficult time loosening the drainplug that I gave up for fear that I would chew up the hex head nut; I took it back and had them loosen it a tad.

I say you should take the car back and insist that they change the oil.