Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Squealing windows

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 12:44 PM
RHT3
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squealing windows

My '03 Cooper S's windows squeal [since new] when outside temp is over 70F. Sounds like seals against glass, but not like a window regulator chatter. The dealership suggested a BMW rubber conditioner.

Any thoughts? MINI USA will probably blame my pulley or lowering springs.

Old 08-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Bisch
6th Gear
My tracks had to be replaced. Same problem. The tech said he averages 1 set per day! I watched him do the job...you could have blindfolded him.

Old 08-30-2004, 01:11 PM
chollomo
4th Gear
mine have squealed twice on me and but it looks liek the secodn tiem it work ed permently.

the windows lubrication ahd all dried up in my door, which is a very rare thign to thappen, especailly in a new car.. so they re lubricated it twice. and now it's doing great no more squeals.

if your still under warrenty the deaelr shoudl haev to fix this for free. if not a qualified autobody store or any reparis man shoudl be abel to lubricated for very cheap.

Old 08-30-2004, 01:16 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Mine too...especially out here in AZ it's been over 70 for sure since I got hte car...try 110...LOL...no biggie though..dealer said it happens and they'll be happy to fix it...just make an appointment

Old 08-30-2004, 01:22 PM
RHT3
2nd Gear
Thanks

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2004, 04:12 PM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Mine squealed and were driving me insane. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the tracks. When they were checking me out she said 'oh, we just went ahead and replaced the tracks' as though it were easier to just do that under warranty than to try to see if it was another issue. Hasn't squealed a day since. Knock on wood....

Old 08-31-2004, 09:39 AM
C4
Banned
Easy maintenance folks. Get a spray can of "Silicone Lubricant". Carefully spray silicone in all weatherstripping in both front doors with a towel (Apply 2 to 3 coats all around) and then finish off the job with an "Armor-All , Protectant cleaning wipe" to add another nice coat of silicone. Presto it takes care of any squeaking windows or rattling glass against the rubber weatherstripping and door opening frame when the windows are raised.

Old 09-05-2004, 10:58 AM
MINIDean
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No! Don't spray silicone spray on the rubber! It will just spread all over the glass and it will smear for a very long time. The squeal is from the tracks, not the rubber.

I took my door panels off and spread a little multi-purpose white grease in the tracks. The metal tracks. There are no rubber tracks on MINI windows. After I put some grease in the tracks, I rolled the window up and down to spread it on the rollers and now I have no squeaks or squeals.

Old 09-05-2004, 03:07 PM
namwob
5th Gear
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...queaky+windows

Put the silicone down and step away from the Mini. Do it yourself and save a trip to the dealership.

Old 09-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine squeal and chatter. At my next service I will be interested to see how my dealer handles the problems.

Old 09-05-2004, 09:12 PM
YELRSUB
Coordinator :: New Mexico MINI Motoring
Dealer fixed under warranty

When I had the '03 Coop in for 25k service, the dealer lubed the window tracks and the squeak's gone. I didn't even have to ask them to do it.

They also fixed the dreaded dash rattle. Seems the fix is just (5 hours quoted time) putting spacers in over the center pin of the dash to lift it some. It raises it in the middle, which means that now the MINI sun shade doesn't fit without serious disturbance to the mirror. Maybe it's a small price to pay. Under certain conditions the dash now buzzes in a new place. Things to watch out for.

Old 09-11-2004, 08:17 AM
MINI-stir
2nd Gear
Just curious, but

Perhaps there are different squeaks?

I took my panels off and lubed up the tracks with lots of grease-- no squeaks. Then, a few days later, temps get hot, squeaks return. My brother was able to pull on the door panel (from the inside) while I rolled the windows up and down-- no squeaking. Most of the time, my windows are silent, but when it gets hot out, or if the car has been sitting in the sun for a while, the windows squeak a bit. Perhaps there is some sort of issue with the seals and the glass. I may try to clean/condition the window seals somehow.

Old 09-11-2004, 08:24 AM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by MINIDean
No! Don't spray silicone spray on the rubber! It will just spread all over the glass and it will smear for a very long time. The squeal is from the tracks, not the rubber.

I took my door panels off and spread a little multi-purpose white grease in the tracks. The metal tracks. There are no rubber tracks on MINI windows. After I put some grease in the tracks, I rolled the window up and down to spread it on the rollers and now I have no squeaks or squeals.
Not true. I use a terry cotton towel and spray the silicone onto the towel, then on the weatherstripping. So far, the windows have not gotten smeared with silicone.

Having done the Silicone/Armor all wipe remedy has yielded to very quite windows and glass that doesn't rattle or rub over road bumps.

Old 09-11-2004, 08:26 AM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by MINI-stir
Perhaps there are different squeaks?

I took my panels off and lubed up the tracks with lots of grease-- no squeaks. Then, a few days later, temps get hot, squeaks return. My brother was able to pull on the door panel (form the inside) while I rolled the windows up and down-- no squeaking. Most of the time, my windows are silent, but when it gets hot out, or if the car has been sitting in the sun for a while, the windows squeak a bit. Perhaps there is some sort of issue with the seals and the glass. I may try to clean/condition the window seals somehow.
Use silicone on the rubber weatherstripping that makes contact with the door glass. When the rubber seals get dry, the frameless glass has a nasty tendency to rub and rattle against the weatherstripping. Problem easily solved with a can of Valvoline Silicon Spray and presto.... No more rubbing or rattling from the side glass!

Old 09-11-2004, 01:42 PM
MINI-stir
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Cooper4us
Use silicone on the rubber weatherstripping that makes contact with the door glass. When the rubber seals get dry, the frameless glass has a nasty tendency to rub and rattle against the weatherstripping. Problem easily solved with a can of Valvoline Silicon Spray and presto.... No more rubbing or rattling from the side glass!
I'll give it a go. Thanks.