Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Am I being taken for a ride? (Not the good kind)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 01:09 PM
tmelsh
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I being taken for a ride? (Not the good kind)

Scroll to bottom for TLDR, but you might want to read the whole thing.

Hello! I've lurked on the forums for a while in the past, but haven't really posted much of anything. Still, after what I have been through the past week I couldn't really find anybody else to turn to - and I know there are a lot of awesome people with great expertise on here. Anyways here is the situation:

I have a 2011 Mini Cooper S hardtop, Manual Transmission. I love this car. Bought it used from a Chevrolet dealer of all places with 12k miles on it. Turned out when I went to get it serviced the previous owner had the extended maintenance as well. Good deal!

As of now I have around 52k miles on the car with no problems. All scheduled maintenance done at appropriate times.

Friday the 1st (APRIL FOOLS of course) my car wouldn't start. We tried to jump it, no luck. I had Mini assist tow it to the dealership because it didn't cost anything, and when the tow truck driver checked the battery sight glass he said he was pretty sure it was shot. Tow truck driver leaves it at the dealer since they were closed.

The next day while Im at work, Mini of Ft Myers tells me it's 200 for a battery and everything should be fine. I accept, knowing that's about normal for a battery at a dealer. Expensive, but not really a surprise.

I get a call later on saturday stating that none of my turn signals or lights are working. Say they need to charge $150 for a diagnostic. I agree. I get a call on Monday or Tuesday, it is the Footwell Module (FRM) and that replacement will be north of $900. This gives me pause, I'm surprised that a battery dying can fry something like that...wouldn't their be some kind of system to prevent something like that from happening? Well, I don't have much of a choice, so I tell them to go ahead. Vacation has gotten off to a pretty crappy start between this and getting a nasty cold.

No call back from mini for a few days now. I finally call them, they said they are still working on it. I get a call back on Thursday stating everything is good and I can come pick up the car. I make my way over, not thrilled about what I have to pay, but chalk it up to having a Euro car.

I drive the car 2 miles down the road to get gas, when I suddenly realize...my left turn signal isn't working. How do you miss that? I take it right back to mini.

"Well that's weird, we'll take a look at it right away."

45mins - 1hr waiting in the dealership I ask if I could at least have a loaner car. They get me a loaner car. Very nice, 2016 Cooper S automatic. I go on my merry way hoping they just got another bad FRM.

Let me state that I am very tolerant of stuff like this. I work in sales, I know they have a job to do and I've worked in PC repair, I know parts and labor cost money - I know the proprietary computers in some cars take ages to update and program. I'm more than civil and friendly because the last people I ever want to **** of are those that work on things I need every day and those who handle my food.

I get no call. Friday the 8th was when I dropped it off, and I know they are closed Sunday. Monday I call, they stated they left me a voicemail.. There was no voice mail. They state that the FRM was fine, but there was another computer that controls the turn signal that is bad. Another $700.

I am up to $1800 for what I thought was going to be just a battery replacement - which was probably already overpriced. Am I being taken for a ride by the dealer? I know dealers will always be more expensive. I know owning a mini has higher costs for things. Something about this just feels slightly off and I just want to alleviate my concerns by asking on here..

Here's the kicker though. It is almost like the punchline of some joke.

I asked the service manager why they didn't realize the left turn signal wasn't working when they gave me the car back, after I just paid them $1100 for everything.

His reply: "Well we drive it about 5 miles to test everything out, and it's all right turns."

*drop mic*

Mind blown.

So...am I being taken advantage of? What can I do? It's been over a week and Ive lost a lot of confidence.

I owe $10k on the car. Should I trade it in and buy something else? Maybe lease something? I think I might be done with Mini, as much as I love my car, if all of it's computers fry with a single battery going bad after a few years.

Am I being unreasonable?

Anyways, I'm going to thank you all ahead of time if you give me any feedback. It will be greatly appreciated!

TLDR; 2011 Cooper S Hardtop 52k miles manual. Car wouldnt start, battery is 2-3 years old and went bad. Mini says it's battery 200$, then turn signals and lights dont work, diagnostic 150$, they refund diagnostic and tell me it's FRM 900$. MINI of Ft Myers gives me the car back, I drive it 2 miles, left turn signal doesnt work. Leave it for 3 more days before I call to finally get an answer - another computer is fried 700$. Why didnt you notice the left turn signal? We only make right turns when testing it...BADUM TSK (not joking this is what he said). Am I being scammed?

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2016, 06:10 PM
mini4mo
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They found the turn signals were not working then don't even f****** test them?
I would call the GM and voice your concern.

Good luck.

My wife's battery and footwell module also had to be replaced.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:16 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I agree with above, I'd try reaching out to the General Manager. If the service manager isn't attempting to do anything to make it right, go above him. Anytime we had issues at the dealer I worked at our SM would always do his utmost best to resolve the issue. That being said, every dealer and SM is different. What you're dealing with is not something I have seen and it may be that there is a bigger issue at foot. Did they say why it was fried again? Just try to voice your concern in a calmly manner as they typically will respond better to it (trust me I grew up with a father in the dealer business and worked at one as well). Really sorry to hear about all this and I hope it gets resolved. That way you can continue to enjoy your MINI.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-12-2016, 03:03 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Been on this forum for about three years now and this isn't the first time I heard of this happen right when a battery died, strange things can happen when battery decides to take a dump. I had to replace my FRM ($900) right after updating my ECU after a complete timing chain replacement, my right turn signal wouldn't turn off even with my car off and locked. Never had any battery issues.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:46 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I would also request that all failed parts be returned to you.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:57 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Probably not the best mini shop, and unfortunately finding the issue isn't always cheap. Some shops just find them quicker.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:36 PM
tmelsh
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whelp, it turns out that Mini of Ft Myers didn't properly install the wiring harness after the FRM replacement, and thus didn't have to charge me the 700$ for the other unit. I was happy until I got in the car and the RIGHT turn signal didn't work. My car had been in the shop for 2 weeks, and they MADE THE SAME MISTAKE AGAIN...an hour of waiting in the dealership and she FINALLY worked.

Anyways, I decided to trade her in about a week ago for a new Ford Fiesta ST. I took the money I put into the FRM and everything as a personal write off - and didn't have to make a very high down payment to get into the new car. I really loved my Mini, but I don't have anybody reliable to work on her where I live besides the dealer - and sadly I don't find them all too reliable after this incident. She will be missed, but after 2 weeks with a 2016 model as a loaner car I'm not a huge fan of how the changes are. The new car is a bit more practical and cheaper anyways - but I will always have a soft spot for minis and the culture and people who drive them! I hope you guys don't think I've turned traitor, and I will continue to wave HELLO! to fellow Mini motorists!