Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Popping In Front Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 06:44 AM
Smitha6
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Popping In Front Suspension

So, I've had it by the dealership and another mechanic and no one can seem to hear this but me.

At low speed when going over short, jittery bumps and/or a speed bump at anything but dead on, I hear a very obvious popping in my front suspension. I drive up and down my gravel driveway every morning and that is where it is most prevalent.

I've had the control arm bushings replaced recently as well as at least the front drivers side shock, so it's not those.

No issues with handling, steering, alignment, etc. Just a popping. I'm going to try and take a video, can we post those here?

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Old 05-09-2016, 07:27 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yes, you can post videos here, which may help. Can you distinguish which side you're hearing the popping from? When you replaced the front strut, did you hear it before or after its replacement? I'd check your end links and make sure they're not loose. This individual here seems to have had a similar issue which resulted in a loose end link.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-09-2016, 07:31 AM
Smitha6
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Yes, you can post videos here, which may help. Can you distinguish which side you're hearing the popping from? When you replaced the front strut, did you hear it before or after its replacement? I'd check your end links and make sure they're not loose. This individual here seems to have had a similar issue which resulted in a loose end link.
Ok, good, I'll try to get a video posted today.

I don't remember hearing it before, but I also only had the car for 2 days before I took it to the mechanic to have it inspected and worked on since it was new to me.

Are the end links a big deal/expensive to replace?

Old 05-09-2016, 07:42 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Also, why did he only replace the one? It's a good idea to replace shocks/struts in pairs. The end links connect to the sway bar and are simple to check/replace if needed. Here is a picture of a front one below. The green arrows point to the connections that you'd want to check. They're fairly inexpensive if it needs to be replaced, which you can see here.

I'd just closely inspect all your suspension components and make sure nothing is loose or worn. Do you get this popping while you turn the vehicle/at full wheel lock and moving forward by chance?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-08-2016, 09:30 AM
Dennis220
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same popping noise.

Originally Posted by Smitha6
Ok, good, I'll try to get a video posted today.

I don't remember hearing it before, but I also only had the car for 2 days before I took it to the mechanic to have it inspected and worked on since it was new to me.

Are the end links a big deal/expensive to replace?
If you don't mind me asking what came of this problem. I have had the same problem for a few month and Mini of Nashville will not cover the repair because Certified preown warranty covers nothing regarding suspension or steer... They wanted a $1000 to change the ball joint and control arm without looking at. Local mechanic checked everything including strut mounts and nothing. He also suspects sway bar link. I am hoping you could provide some insight. Thanks