Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Windshield wipers not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:47 PM
Emily Clanton
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield wipers not working

Have an '09 R56. Windshield wipers quit working out of the blue. Tried to turn them on with no luck.

Tested all fuses related to wipers (F22, 15A & F28, 15A in interior fuse box and F9, 25A in engine fuse box) Tested relays (R5 & R7) in engine fuse box by replacing with new.

Everything on switch arm (rear wiper & fluid and front fluid) working except for front wipers.

Connected pins 3 & 5 on Relay 5 and motor/transmission/wipers worked as they should.

To note - also tried adding a ground wire since that was cited as being helpful in Gen 1 models.

Finally gave up and took it to the dealer. Dealer claimed it was motor. Replaced motor and ended up with the same problem - not working, but works fine when pins 3 & 5 on Relay 5 are connected.

Not sure where to go from here. Any help?

Old 05-25-2016, 08:31 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,096 Likes on 1,870 Posts
All i can think is the footwell module , have you checked it for moisture in the kick panel ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-03-2020, 05:02 PM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
All i can think is the footwell module , have you checked it for moisture in the kick panel ?
Hey can you expand on that "footwell module" part? You mean the fusebox in the passenger's side (Right) for NorthAmerican models?

I have a '13 Clubman (80k presently) with dead wipers as of this morning.

Had water ponding on right side floor wells last Monday (five days ago) that was causing rear hatch to unlatch by itself.

Sopped up water, had dehumidifier running inside 24/7 until yesterday when carpeting seemed dry.

Worries now are leaking sunroof drain channel putting water onto fusebox/relays/other charged-up gubbins behind kickpanel on lower right footwell.

Fuse (#30, 15A) looks OK (but I haven't tested it) and I have no idea what relays might be involved. Suggestions welcome!

Everything else seems to work BUT my windscreen wipers.

And I'm 2 hrs from nearest dealer... who's closed 'till '4/7 with this virus thing affecting the Known World.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:03 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,096 Likes on 1,870 Posts
Its on the driver side. They get moisture in them or at the connections and fail. You have to get a new one or a used one with options and years as your MINI.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...solutions.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-08-2020, 11:29 AM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealership Bound...

Closest dealership's open again as of today. Made an appointment for tomorrow (2 hr drive) to get problem diagnosed, estimate for repairs. Service Manager admitted he'd seen sunroof gutter drain leaks cause electrical component troubles before, but that FRM extended warranty doesn't apply.

So I've put a question to my insurance agent about whether my policy's comprehensive coverage might help offset whatever costs are associated with getting my early '13 R55 back into driveable condition...'cause w/o windscreen wipers it's not at the moment.

We'll see. Nothing like being held hostage by bad design decisions....