Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

tire pressure light keeps flashing

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 01:12 PM
theCFB
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire pressure light keeps flashing

Hello All,

I have a 2002 Cooper S. I love the darn thing. A few weeks ago we had to have a tire replace due to a hole that could not be patched. The dealer replaced the tire. That was done two weeks ago. Three days ago the tire pressure low light came on. I've checked the tire pressure and all 4 tires appear fine. Does any know if this is common or should I get back to the dealer ASAP?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!!

Old 09-03-2004, 01:32 PM
NekoWoman
5th Gear
Location: Fulltime RVer - R53 towed behind a vintage 1979 35' MCI MC-5C Saudi
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theCFB
Does any know if this is common or should I get back to the dealer ASAP?
Did you equalize all the tire pressures and reset the sensor system? (little button under the E brake)

If you did that & it was okay... have you checked the actual pressure again in that tire? You might have a slow leak & runflats don't show when they're low like others do. I'd take it back to the dealer if it doesn' go away... runflats are $$$ to replace.

Old 09-03-2004, 03:49 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is the replacement tire an identical type to the originals? The same size tire in a different brand brand line can have enough of a size differential to trigger the tire warning system (the system does not measure tire pressure, instead it averages the 'rolling distance versus revolutions' of all 4 tires, any one or two significatly different will light the light). A low tire has a smaller 'loaded diameter' and gets singled out by the system.

Likewise, if your remaining three tires have considerably less tread than the new tire, this will cause a differential of rolling diameter and trigger the system. If the new tire is installed on the lighter rear of the car, this can magnify the problem. Try moving the new tire to the front and see if it helps. Temporarily reducing the pressure of the new tire can be used as well.

You can measure the circumference of the new tire and compare to the others. Significant differences here will cause the problem.

Also, I have heard that it sometimes takes a couple resets of the system once a repair is done, new tires are installed or tires are rotated to make it learn the new configuration and stay off.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:25 PM
theCFB
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you both so much for the advice. I feel kinda like an idiot. NekoWoman hit the nail right on the head. I just needed to reset the sensor system. But it's also really good to know that so many different things can disrupt the system enough for the "alarm" to go off.

Again, thank you both SO much!!!

Oh, and NekoWoman, awesome shot of the MINIs in a blizzard!

Old 09-08-2004, 07:32 AM
NekoWoman
5th Gear
Location: Fulltime RVer - R53 towed behind a vintage 1979 35' MCI MC-5C Saudi
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theCFB
Again, thank you both SO much!!!

Oh, and NekoWoman, awesome shot of the MINIs in a blizzard!
CFB,

No problem! You're very welcome -- that's what I love about this board. Somebody, somewhere has had your problem or has an idea to fix it.

My favorite part about that picture is that a cleaned up version of it is on the OL in a pop-up box on doing good works with your MINI. They actually are using club member photos! Sebby is famous!