Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

A/C doesnt blow cold air

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:42 AM
chastings68
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C doesnt blow cold air

I had it checked out by a mechanic and was told that the "A11 control unit for a/c system was faulty, not reading correct from A/C button".
What is this?
Can a regular guy with regular tools replace it, or is t best left to the dealer?
I was also told that it would require programming of the new ihka. Whats an ihka? Does the dealer need to program it?
Thanks all,
C

Old 07-18-2016, 01:10 PM
David.R53
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Ihka is the BMW acronym for the automatic air conditioning control. I believe all the control is done in the AC panel in the dashboard. No additional module. I have replaced mine with a junk yard unit and needed no coding. You can find them on eBay for about $70. It is just as easy to remove as the radio (four screws for center console, 4 more screws for the two side trim pieces, 4-6 screws that hold the radio and Ihka to the dash, then a couple of wires ).

They vary by build date so you are better off pulling yours out and checking the exact part number and buying the same.

BTW, since pretty much all the advice you got was wrong, maybe take it to another shop for a second opinion before starting to buy parts...?

Old 07-23-2016, 06:25 AM
JRhea
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Common problem is the clutch coil. First check with volt meter to see if a/c relay circuit is energized when you turn on a/c.
If it is then take a flashlight and see if compressor is engaging when it's turned on. If not, our problem sounds like clutch coil. You can replace it yourself without opening the lines in the system. Good YouTube videos to prepare you for the hard to reach snap rings. Clutch coil only sold on eBay. No parts store or Mini sell them. Most places throw away the $500 to $ 700 compressor instead of replacing the $90 clutch coil

Originally Posted by chastings68
I had it checked out by a mechanic and was told that the "A11 control unit for a/c system was faulty, not reading correct from A/C button".
What is this?
Can a regular guy with regular tools replace it, or is t best left to the dealer?
I was also told that it would require programming of the new ihka. Whats an ihka? Does the dealer need to program it?
Thanks all,
C

Old 07-31-2016, 12:25 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
AC in Raven had the raddish last week. Upon diag determined the rubber section at the pulley/clutch had separated so it was only lightly spinning ( somewhat ) and bit wobbly on the belt....Compressor kicks on/ off so crossing my fingers the rest of compressor is aok and purchased this Clutch/Pully/Coil kit on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-A-C-Comp...xWUj-O&vxp=mtr