Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Missing component from r50 remote key

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 05:18 AM
AleBenna
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing component from r50 remote key

Hi, I've bought a mini r50 but the remote key isn't working so I opened it and I've replaced the battery and still not works. I noticed that a component is missing from the pcb,this is a photo that shows the component:

here is my photo without the component in the red circle:

anyone knows the name of the component so I can solder it on the pcb?
The car is a 2002 Italian mini cooper r50 thanks

Old 08-19-2016, 04:05 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Not sure that component is available separately from the key. I looked at mine and couldn't get a good number off of it. Your best bet might be to buy a used key on eBay and transfer it over. The white thing that is left will have to be removed and a different one soldered in place. There's no guarantee that will work, however- you might have to get a new key. I will look at some other keys that I am working on (I do key repair on the side) and see if I can get a good part number off of it but that's a real long shot.

I do notice that both of the tactile switches are not original; it's also obvious that they have been soldered in after the key was manufactured. That's not a bad thing and the soldering job that was done is fine but there's a chance they also knocked off the missing component during the repair.

Good luck with it.

P.S.- does the red LED light up when you press either red button?

Val

Old 08-19-2016, 10:35 PM
AleBenna
Neutral
Thank you for trying to search the number code of the component
I tested the buttons with the tester and they should work but the led don't blink when I push a button....I saw on the site of the FCC the components of the remote and it is an 4.00MhZ oscillator but the remote in america works on 315 mhz frequency while in Italy where I live the remote works on the 433 mhz frequency so I don't know if the component I saw on the FCC site is the same...if I can't find the original component I will surely go with your idea

edit: on the FCC site I've found the components of the remote but I noticed that some other components are missing :

and this is my remote where in the red circle the components are missing:

I have the 433mhz remote for the Europe maybe the components there aren't present due to the European version but I don't think that

Last edited by AleBenna; 08-20-2016 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:59 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Stand down. There's nothing missing from your remote (at least in the second picture). I have checked with two different remote boards I have here in the shop and there is nothing soldered in those positions.

Your component in the Q3 position is marked differently than the ones I am looking at which are clearly marked as "315 K" which for some reason must mean "Mhz". Because that crystal is different the one in the "4 Mhz" position might be different as well. Since we don't have access to the Euro/433 Mhz schematic it's difficult to tell for sure but there's a chance it is 4 Mhz.

Is your main chip the same? The one I'm looking at is marked NEC Japan/75076350/0321E3009.

Also- found the crystals:

http://www.electronicsurplus.com/mur...r-4-00mhz-47pf

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pass...7262189.html#!

As you can see from the Aliexpress pics it just looks like 6 connections- there's three, soldered on both ends.

An eBay seller has them too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ART-US-New-C...8AAOSw9NdXrEGJ

If you have good soldering skills you can certainly try putting in a new crystal. There's really no loss- you don't have a working remote now. If you want I could try to fix it for you but I'm here in the U.S. I regularly replace the switches on these things so a crystal wouldn't be that much more difficult.

Val

Old 08-23-2016, 06:57 AM
AleBenna
Neutral
Yeah the chip is the same.. only the second part of the code is different, I have NEC Japan/75076350/xxxxxxxxxxx which I think is the number of production.
I ordered this from Germany (which is near to Italy) :
http://www.ebay.it/itm/261582927343?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The seller shipped them yesterday so in a couple of days I could try to solder it to the PCB. I'm an electronic so I should do it

Why in the schematic there are components that in the PCB there aren't? It's strange ahah
Thanks for your disposability

Old 08-23-2016, 04:03 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by AleBenna
Yeah the chip is the same.. only the second part of the code is different, I have NEC Japan/75076350/xxxxxxxxxxx which I think is the number of production.
I ordered this from Germany (which is near to Italy) :
http://www.ebay.it/itm/261582927343?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The seller shipped them yesterday so in a couple of days I could try to solder it to the PCB. I'm an electronic so I should do it

Why in the schematic there are components that in the PCB there aren't? It's strange ahah
Thanks for your disposability
I drilled pretty far into that site that had the drawings and schematics. Apparently there was a version of this remote that controlled the airbag suspension system- I wasn't aware that Land Rovers had such a system but it apparently was an option. The suspension remote was so you could stand outside of the car and level it with the remote buttons. The suspension remote didn't have a blade but it probably had some sort of plug at the bottom where the plastic thing holds the blade which is why the design is like that- one remote case, two different remotes. I'm also guessing that the missing components might be present on the suspension remote.

Anyway, let me know how it goes. I'd love to know if you get this one fixed!

Val